Visa Compliance Officer
Closing date for applications: 23 February 2018
Location: Brighton preferred, but flexible to consider other locations around the UK
Status: Permanent, Full-time 37.5 hours per week
Report to: Director of Risk & Compliance
Job Purpose: To ensure that Study Group is fully compliant with its obligations as a UKVI Tier 4 Sponsor; Wwrk closely with colleagues across the UK business to provide guidance and expertise for both students and staff for all matters concerning the UKVI, Home Office and student visas.
- Communicate with appropriate and relevant colleagues, stakeholders and students within the College network to ensure compliance with the UKVI rules and regulations, taking advice from the Visa Compliance Manager as required
- Manage SMS system as Level 1 user, including inputting data onto college Study Global system, making course changes, study location changes, withdrawals, early course completions and visa refusals
- Run regular audits to ensure consistent accuracy of student data.
- Organise visa workshops/training events for staff
- Assess application documents and all relevant documents
- Provide current and accurate advice on visa compliance
- Adopt a proactive approach to the development of the role by reviewing and researching the procedures of the job on an on-going basis to improve the service to students, stakeholders and staff and ensure compliance with UKVI procedures and requirements
- Undertake allocated duties within given time frames, working independently when required
- Contribute to the work of the Central Compliance team, including attending meetings and undertaking other duties as required
- Attend appropriate training courses
- Participate in the appraisal system
- Respect the confidential nature of information relating to the College network
- Undertake additional duties as required by the line manager
- References will be followed up
- All gaps in CVs must be explained satisfactorily
- Proof of identity and (where applicable) qualifications will be required
- Appropriate suitability checks will be required to prior to confirmation of appointment
Qualifications and Training
- Good standard of literacy and numeracy. Grades A-C in English language and Maths A-level or equivalent
- Undergraduate or professional qualification or equivalents
- UKCISA or equivalent immigration training or Continuing Professional Development
- Postgraduate or professional qualification or working towards this
- In-depth knowledge of the UKVI policies and procedures in relation to UK immigration in the education sector (Tier 4).
- Experience of using the UKVI Sponsor Management System (SMS) on a regular basis.
- Held the role of a SMS Level 1 or Key contact with UKVI
- Working with international students in a FE/HE education environment
- Ability to work effectively and accurately under pressure
- Able to demonstrate up to date sector training on immigration requirements
- Experienced in working with student records databases
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong customer service skills
- High lever user of MS office, especially Outlook and Word
- Ability to use multiple systems
- Good attention to detail
- To be able to work as an individual as well as a team member
- Conscientious and reliable
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
Eligibility to work and travel freely to and from the UK, i.e. valid UK or EC passport or leave to remain.
Enhanced DBS check
It is a condition that the successful applicant before the appointment is confirmed will be required to undergo an Enhanced DBS check and referencing prior to commencement of employment. This will include details of cautions, reprimands or final warnings as well as convictions.
The role meets the requirements in respect of the exempted questions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Please send a completed application form to Peter Skillen, Director, Risk & Compliance.
Application deadline 23 February 2018