Subject Leader Business and Law
Closing date for applications: 14 July 2017
Hours 37.5 per week
Permanent Full time
Salary up to £34,796
Start date 1 August 2017
Due to growth in student numbers, Liverpool John Moores University International Study Centre are now recruiting a Subject Leader in Business and Law to provide strategic academic leadership for a cognate subject area within the programme. Reporting to the Head of Programmes, you will work closely with the Head of Programmes, Head of English and Academic Skills and other Subject Leaders to ensure progression success of students on to their degree programmes at the University. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and innovative tutor who has leadership qualities. The successful candidate will enjoy working with international students and staff, be flexible, customer orientated and performance driven.
- Maintain academic oversight of the delivery, assessment and monitoring of a cognate group of modules within the programme
- Lead and direct academic quality meetings for a specified group of full-time tutors
- Contribute towards continuing professional development and lead on relevant CPD sessions
- Contribute to programme senior management meetings as determined by the Head of Programmes to inform strategic planning and resource allocation
- Participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff and represent the Centre at appropriate events and meetings with the International Study Centre, the partner university and externally
- Within a discrete subject area, supervise progression tracking and similar student outcome-focussed initiatives operational within the centre, reporting on these to the Head of Programmes
Student learning experience
- Under the guidance of the Head of Programmes, work closely with Module Leaders and University departments to maintain the currency and fitness for purpose of modules to meet the needs of students progressing to their respective university degree programmes, and to maximise progression
- Contribute to the delivery and assessment of provision, with a teaching load of 15 hours per week, and provide tutorial support to a specified number of students through the academic year.
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Assure consistency of delivery and standards across the subject provision, Liaise with colleagues in centres around the network to share good practice and benefit from the dissemination of developments elsewhere in the network at subject level
- Take responsibility for annual review, academic development and appropriate diversification of the provision (including revision of modules and the development of new modules) in a given subject area
- Produce reports, analysis and evaluation
- Experience of developing and updating teaching materials, and experience of working with a Virtual Learning Environment
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship and the maintenance of the highest possible academic standards in delivery and assessmen
- High standards of integrity and honesty to facilitate leadership by example
- Strong planning, development and implementation skills
- Action orientated with close attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor’s degree
- Relevant teaching qualification (PGCE, Masters degree and/or Phd)
- Experience of providing leadership in a complex multi-disciplinary environment, with evidence of success.
- Experience of providing feedback to another person about their performance, which achieved a positive improvement.
- Experience of HR duties, such as delivering training and taking part in the recruitment process.
- Ability to delegate activities, set deadlines and take responsibility for overseeing their successful completion to meet challenging deadlines.
- Experience of successfully leading on internal communication, which includes disseminating complex messages or changes to operations.
- Experience of working with international students and an understanding of welfare, well-being and cultural issues which may arise.
- Experience of data management and interpretation, and quality assurance.
- Experience of working across, up and down an organisation as well as with external partners and both national and international stakeholders
Knowledge and Skills
- A sound understanding of UK higher education and experience.
- Strong team-working skills and experience of team development.
- Knowledge of the needs of international students and experience of working with international students.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate issues to a wide audience
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Sound IT skills including MS Office and MS Excel and experience of working with databases.
- Strong relationship management skills and experience of working across, up and down an organisation as well as with external partners and stakeholders
- A high level of emotional intelligence including: patience and perseverance, good listening skills and empathy, and an ability to stay calm and manage challenging situations firmly and fairly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a pleasant and professional manner
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
If you are interested and would like to apply for this post, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role to Christina Roberts, Head of Centre.
Application deadline 14 July 2017
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 19 July 2017