Student Support Assistant
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2017
Based on the university campus in Guildford, the International Study Centre offers foundation courses that prepare international students for entry onto the first year of their chosen degree course at the University of Surrey.
Surrey ISC is seeking to appoint a Student Support Assistant to join the student services team to assist with the delivery of an efficient academic admin and student support service. This support includes and is not limited to reception, induction and registration, finance, academic administration, and general admin support to students and the academic team.
- Provide a consistent, accurate and friendly customer reception service to visitors, students and staff, identifying problems which leads to poor service and contribute to review of the service.
- To filter student enquiries, directing them appropriately within the ISC to the Head of Centre, Academic Staff and student services
- Participation in centre events and activities including registration, arrivals, induction and exam assessment periods.
- Support the Student Support Co-Ordinator and Academic Administrator during peak periods in the academic calendar and with workload.
- Deal with students day-to-day administrative needs
- Assist with the organisation of social events for students
- Work with the student support co-ordinator to maintain attendance records.
- Data entry and updating of spreadsheets and databases
- To manage and oversee ISC finance & cashbooks, logging incoming funds and outgoing expenditure and liaising with Study Group Accounts Department
- To manage credit control, running weekly debtors lists (DSPs), matching unassigned funds, termly invoicing and collection of funds.
- To oversee chasing debtors
- Process student payments
- To support engagement with Building Futures activities
- To foster productive relationships with the student body and members of staff
- Cover admin duties for other members of staff when absent and during peak periods
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of students with whom you come into contact.
- To assist the Administration Manager, Head of Centre and Student Services team as required.
- Any other duties as directed by the Administration Manager
Qualifications and Training
- Level 3 (desirable) or equivalent work experience
- Working in an administrative role
- Working with international students
- Working in a Higher Education or Further Education environment
- Using data management systems i.e. Progresso
- Financial administrator experience
- Working in student support services
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven customer service skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular intermediate Word and Excel skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Accurate data entry skills
- Effective Communication including accurate written English
- Good organisational Skills
- Working under pressure and to deadlines
- Flexible attitude to work
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate
Please note, external applicants will require an enhanced DBS check.
Please send an updated CV and covering email to email@example.com.
Application deadline 31 August 2017