Student Support Assistant
Closing date for applications: 12 October 2017
The University of Strathclyde International Study Centre is seeking a reliable, enthusiastic and proactive individual to join the Professional Services Team where attention to detail is a must. The successful candidate must have excellent Word and Excel skills, be able to work on their own initiative and have at least one year's experience of working in an administrative environment. Being the first point of contact for all students, the Student Support Assistant will ensure each student, for the duration of their stay at the ISC, has access to an exceptional experience.
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Role: 4 hrs/day (Monday - Friday). 20 hours per week.
- Foster positive relationships with students and deal with their requests and concerns in a professional and prompt manner.
- To provide general student support as required, including student correspondence – bank letters, police registration, study confirmation and council tax letters
- Plan activities for students including end of term prizes.
- Ensure student details are kept up-to-date
- Ensure that tutors have completed their registers on Progresso
- Issue warning letters to students
- Maintain attendance tracker
- To run weekly attendance reports from Progresso for distribution to the Management team
- Support students to make payments using Payonline and chase outstanding fees.
- Provide reports for the Head of Professional Services
- Monitor stationary levels and ordering office supplies
- Support engagement with Building Futures
- Foster positive and productive relationships with members of staff
- Ensure noticeboards in reception and other areas are regularly updated
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of students with whom you come into contact
- Assist the Head of Professional Services with administrative duties such as filing and photocopying
Qualifications and Training
- Higher Mathematics & English (Nat 5 will be considered).
- Working under pressure and to deadlines
- Working with international students
- Working in a Higher Education or Further Education environment
- Using data management systems
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have excellent Word and Excel skills
- At least one year’s experience of working in an administrative environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Effective Communication including accurate written English
- Organisational Skills
- Proven customer service skills
- Knowledge of University database system/s and data inputting
- Knowledge of Further and Higher Education Courses/Structures
- Demonstrates the ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people.
- Demonstrates emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to the use of authority and maintaining discipline.
- Works on own initiative and is a proven team player
- Enthusiastic, Committed and Curious
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate
Please note, external applicants will require an enhanced DBS check.
Applicants should clearly state how they meet each of the essential and desirable criteria for this post.
Please send a completed application to Lynne Miller, Head of Professional Services.
Application deadline 12 October 2017