Senior Academic Tutor (Business and Economics)
Closing date for applications: 27 September 2017
Study Group is a global leader in providing a transformational learning experience for international students, leaving them with academic success and rewarding careers. 2016 was a successful year with 70,000 students enrolling across 163 countries Above all, providing a fantastic learning experience to our students is at the heart of what we do, so if you are passionate, dedicated, and interested in embarking in a truly fulfilling position, then you’ve come to the right place.
Our Sheffield Study Centre is based in the heart of a friendly and very pleasant city, with picturesque surrounding and a fantastic energy within the team. This is one of our largest Centres which already has a fantastic reputation within the area and an extremely good success rate.
This is a senior teaching role that includes academic management support to the respective Subject Leader by contributing to the appointment, probationary review and on-going appraisal of sessional staff.
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contract Type: Full Time, Permanent
- Provide academic coordination for designated module(s) in the role of Module Coordinator
- Participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle
- Contribute to the appointment, probationary review and on-going appraisal of sessional tutors including teaching observation within a specific subject area
- Ensure that the induction, mentoring and appraisal of sessional staff is aligned with Study Group academic policies and procedures.
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules offered by the college
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students
- Develop and update course material for related modules, including module material on the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Providing academic guidance and support to a designated group of students through the tutorial system
- Work with the college’s Student & Academic Services team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the College virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Contribute to the delivery and assessment of provision, with a normal teaching load of 10-12 hours per week, and provide tutorial support to a specified number of students through the academic year.
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of the programme
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Act as a coordinator for the training and development of sessional tutors within the subject area
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the College Director or Academic Director.
Qualifications and Training
- A Master’s degree in a Business and Economics subject, such as Business, Operational Research, Economics, Econometrics, Finance, Accounting and Statistics
- Candidates holding a PhD will be particularly welcomed
- It would be desirable to hold a teaching qualification such as PGCE, PGHE or equivalent
- A proven ability to teach a broad range of Social Science subjects
- Significant experience of teaching in UK higher or further education
- It would be desirable to have experience of teaching A-level in UK
- Experience, and a positive track record, of working with staff teams, evaluating performance and identifying development needs.
- It would be desirable to have experience of working with international student
Knowledge and Skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
Please send your CV to Alex Adams, Project Recruitment Consultant.
Application deadline 27 September 2017.