Closing date for applications: 15 August 2017
Based at Kingston University, the International Study Centre delivers foundation programmes preparing international students for progression to undergraduate degrees. Working in partnership with the Kingston University, we are seeking a well-qualified and experienced academic Biology teacher.
Applicants must hold a subject qualification and the relevant teaching qualification. Candidates must have experience of teaching in a further education environment and of teaching in an international context. Experience of Foundation Programmes is highly desirable and good organisational and IT skills are essential.
Please note: the International Study Centre operates a four term teaching year.
Job purpose: to deliver highly effective modules across one or all of the courses delivered at Kingston ISC, working at one or all of the following levels: [Foundation (Level 3); International Year 1 (Level 4); and Pre Masters (Level 6)]
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules and teaching sessions offered by the Kingston ISC
- Prepare and deliver teaching lecture, seminar and tutorial sessions, with a normal teaching load of up to 25 hours per week
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment
- Mark students’ formative and summative assessments submissions and provide timely feedback to students on their performance, including writing regular student reports and tutorials
- Develop and update course material for modules and teaching sessions, including module material for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Work with the Centre’s Operations team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes.
- Notify and liaise with colleagues where necessary to ensure all students receive appropriate on-going welfare and progression support
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module and teaching session level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of courses
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Attend and contribute to standardisation, moderation and other quality assurance meetings
Academic management and personal development
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle. In particular QAEG.
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely records of teaching and other activities
- Participate in regular training and development activities and maintain a log of these activities
- Carry out any other duties as required from time to time by the Head of Centre
Qualifications and Training
- A Bachelor degree in the relevant subject area. Candidates with further qualifications in the subject area will be welcome and a Master’s qualification is normally essential for teaching on international year 1 and the pre-masters programmes.
- Teaching qualification (Desirable)
- Experience of teaching in UK higher or further education and experience of working with international students
- EAP experience for teachers of English
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
The International Study Centre is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and appointments will be subject to receipt of both satisfactory references and a DBS check.
Please send with a completed application form to John Cotis, Academic and Quality Lead.
Application deadline 15 August 2017
Interviews will be held on 22 August 2017