Contract: Fixed Term Part-time Media Practice Tutor required (maternity leave cover)
Start: January 2019
We are seeking a sessional tutor for our Spring Semester (January to April 2018) and possibly for our Summer Semester (May to August 2018) to provide maternity leave cover.
To deliver highly effective modules across one or all of the University of Sussex International Study Centre courses, working at one or all of the following levels:
- International Foundation Year Business, Media and Social Sciences (Film and Media pathway): level 3
- International Year One Media and Film Studies: level 4
- Pre-Masters Business, Media and Social Sciences (Film and Media pathway): levels 5 and 6.
Deliver high level skills in photography, video, and sound including advanced technical knowledge, conceptual knowledge and critical understanding in relation to these practice areas
Technical knowledge of, and ability to teach with relevant photography, video and audio broadcasting software (for example, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Adobe Audition) and relevant camera and audio work (for example with Nikon DSLRs, Sony x70s, Tascam).
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules and teaching sessions offered by the Sussex ISC
- Prepare and deliver teaching lecture, seminar and tutorial sessions, with a normal teaching load of up to 25 hours per week
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment
- Mark students' formative and summative assessments submissions and provide timely feedback to students on their performance, including writing regular student reports and tutorials
- Develop and update course material for modules and teaching sessions, including module material for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Work with the Centre's Operations team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes
- Notify and liaise with colleagues where necessary to ensure all students receive appropriate on-going welfare and progression support.
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module and teaching session level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of courses
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Attend and contribute to standardisation, moderation and other quality assurance meetings.
Academic management and personal development
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely records of teaching and other activities
- Participate in regular training and development activities and maintain a log of these activities
- Carry out any other duties as required from time to time by the Subject Leader, Head of Subject, Director of Curriculum and/or Centre Director.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and have a drive and enthusiasm for supporting students in achieving high quality learning outcomes. In addition, you will have:
- A Bachelor's degree in the relevant subject area (essential)
- Candidates with further qualifications in the subject area will be welcome and a Master's qualification is normally essential for teaching on International year 1 and Pre-Masters programmes
- Teaching qualification (desirable)
- Experience of teaching in UK Higher or Further Education (essential)
- Experience of working with international students (desirable)
- Ability to develop and update teaching material (essential)
- Experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment (desirable)
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc. (essential)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach (essential)
- A commitment to continuous professional development (desirable)
- Strong record-keeping skills (essential)
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines (essential)
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player (essential).
A list of the Film and Media modules can be found here:
The ISC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and appointments will be subject to receipt of both satisfactory references and an enhanced DBS check.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
Please apply with a CV to email@example.com.
Application deadline: 25th October 2018
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.