Maths and Physics Tutor
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2017
Contract: Variable hours, starting late September
Based on the university campus, the International Study Centre offers foundation courses that prepare international students for entry onto the first year of their chosen degree course at the University of Surrey, Guildford.
The centre is seeking to appoint a dynamic and engaging tutor with a passion for delivering an exceptional learning experience. The role will deliver highly effective modules at Foundation Level/A Level Physics and Maths.
Reporting to the Head of Science & Engineering the role will be responsible for:
- Delivering physics and maths modules (through teaching) to international students studying on programmes offered by the Centre and assisting with the development of modules
- Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students, including re-sit examinations
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of the Centre's virtual learning environment (VLE). Facilitating student access to same.
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- Providing, when required, academic learning support to a small number of students
- Participating in regular meetings including training with teaching and support staff
Qualifications and Training
- A recognised teacher status qualification and/or
- A Bachelor's degree in a related subject area
- Teaching experience in the relevant subject areas (physics essential) within an either FE or UK higher education context;
- Experience of teaching international students desirable
- Proficiency in the use of interactive technologies in an educational environment is an advantage.
Knowledge and Skills
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc)
- A student-centred approach
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines
- Strong sense of teamwork
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate
Please note, external applicants will require an enhanced DBS check.
Please send an updated CV plus covering letter to Liz McMullan, Head of Centre – Surrey International Study Centre.
Application deadline 31 August 2017