Maths and Physics Tutor
Closing date for applications: 12 April 2018
Location: Royal Holloway International Study Centre
Salary: 30,810 (pro rata)
Full Time Permanent Contract
Based at Royal Hollow University of London, the International Study Centre (ISC) delivers a one year Foundation Programme preparing international students for progression to undergraduate degrees. Our students enrol onto different pathways depending on their degree progression. We have three pathways: Arts and Social Sciences; Management and Economics; Sciences.
Working in partnership with the University, we at Study Group are seeking a well-qualified and experienced academic subject teacher in the area of Maths (Core, Pure and Applied Mathematics) on our Sciences and Management and Economics Pathway.
- The role is varied and involves curriculum development, teaching and monitoring student progress. You will report to the Head of Academic Subjects (HoAS) and work closely with other colleagues in maintaining, contributing to and raising the standard of teaching and learning across the centre.
- As part of your role and together with the HoAS, you will be responsible for developing the curriculum that is delivered, ensuring this is benchmarked correctly to level 3 and in line with the various undergraduate Mathematics and Business and Management programmes on offer at the university.
- Additionally, you will develop and maintain a module handbook for Maths enabling students to gain a better understanding of the module as a whole. You will attend regular academic and other team meetings and take an active role in the life of the centre.
- You will contribute to organising and running extracurricular activities and workshops that support students in their academic studies while engaging with colleagues and students at Royal Holloway to further integrate the work of the ISC with that of the University more broadly.
- You will design formative and summative assessments and participate in the quality assurance processes involved to do this, alongside periodic module reviews that help evaluate our programme of study. You will mark students’ assessments and homework, giving timely feedback and holding tutorials where necessary.
- Because one of the priorities of the centre is to enhance the use of technology in our pedagogy, you will actively integrate mobile and other learning technologies in your practice, participating in any necessary training required. You will take a lead in coordinating the upkeep of the subject specific page/s on the ISC’s Moodle platform, which is part of our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
Knowledge and Experience
- A relevant first degree, with a Masters desirable
- Relevant teaching qualification
Experience of teaching at Level 3 (A-level equivalent), preferably in a further education environment
- Experience of teaching in an international context
- Experience of Foundation programmes
- Ability to develop and update teaching material
- Experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A student-centred approach
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
- Good at timekeeping and being punctual.
- Excellent organisational skills
Study Group invests in its staff and looks to support opportunities for enhancing skills and training. We take active interest in developing individuals as practitioners and, as part of tertiary education here in the UK, as teachers who contribute to and draw on the latest research in their field.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
Please send your CV to email@example.com to be considered.
Application deadline 12 April 2018