Science Laboratory Technician
Closing date for applications:19 February 2018
Laboratory Technician required as soon as possible to assist our Science department with the preparation of materials for science classes. The successful candidate must be able to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team.
Contract type: Permanent - 20 hours per week
- To liaise with teachers to discuss their timetables, equipment requirements and work plans
- Run trials of new experiments prior to classes
- Prepare equipment before lessons
- Manufacture items of equipment not available commercially or specific to certain practical lessons and assessed practicals.
- The ability to use small hand tools is essential, as is the ability to solder using lead-free solder.
- Ensuring that equipment is properly maintained and cleaned and that chemicals and other materials are appropriately stored
- Repairs of equipment
- Managing the stock control of equipment
- Co-ordinating work in the laboratory to ensure that the most efficient use is made of expensive pieces of equipment
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability
- Supporting the work of teachers in laboratory sessions
- Working with individual students and demonstrating techniques and methods for experiments when necessary
- Conducting technician risk assessments, following strict safety procedures
- Arranging periodic safety checks.
- Maintaining the technicians’ file on Health and Safety
- Preparing practical files and safety sheets for students.
- Maintaining a bank of practical past papers
- Ensuring the smooth running of practical examinations
- Assisting in other areas of the Science Faculty when necessary
- High level of personal integrity
- Well organised and methodical
- Well presented & personable
- Genuine enthusiasm and the ability to work well within a team
Qualifications and Training
- Suitable Science qualifications (Level 3 or above)
- Scientific background
- Previous experience as a Laboratory Technician (desirable)
Knowledge and Skills
- Good communicator, organised, practical, clear understanding of laboratory safety
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate
Please apply with a CV, covering letter and completed application form to Marta Wilk, PA to Principal and HR Administrator.
Application deadline 4pm Monday 19 February 2018