Deadline for applications: N/A
Salary: £22,000 per annum
Contract type: Full time permanent
We have a fantastic new opportunity for a Journal Administrator to contribute to the growth of our journal portfolio, and, as such, we are looking for someone who has a strong administrative background, a good understanding of the academic community.
The position will provide the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to experience a career in academic publishing with an innovative, technology-driven online journal publisher. Reporting to the Journal Editor-in-chief and working closely with other members of the Editorial Board, the position focuses primarily on liaising with colleagues to ensure the smooth running of operations. The successful candidate will have direct access to and regularly communicate with Journal Representatives and authors within the Study Group network to ensure efficient journal content acquisition and launch of special editions.
As this is a new set up, we are looking for this role to be on a fixed-term contract for an initial period of six months. We anticipate three days a week at 7.5 hours a day, at least one of which will be decided by the Editor-in-chief. The successful candidate will be located in Brighton Head office.
- Carry out administrative duties for the Editor-in-chief, Editorial Board, IAB (International Advisory Board)
- Be an integral part of the publication process - receives all submissions and undertakes the initial quality checks
- Facilitates communications for the Journal. This includes managing and enhancing the website, templates, etc.
- Ensure CrossRef, and COPE memberships and other facilities required for the efficient running of the Journal are up to date
- Act as a link between the Journal and authors
- Oversee the recruitment of high-standing proof-readers
- Support Editor-in-chief with the recruitment of key members of the Journal
- Assist in any other duties relevant to the day to day running of the Journal
- Strong communication skills (especially written)
- Advanced IT Skills
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, Excel
- Using OneDrive to share and manage online documents
- Familiar with LaTeX editor (or willing to take training)
- Ability to use social media platforms such as Workspace
- Organisational and administrative skills
- Manage online documents
- Organise online meetings and document action points
- Great attention to details and ability to proofread documents
- Innovative ability to use own initiative as well as be part of a team
- Ability to work on tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and willing to take training on Online Journal Systems
- Previous experience in a similar role would be beneficial
A degree in the following subjects is desirable:
- Arts and Humanities, in particular English
- Journalism, Media or Communication Studies
- Social, Economic or Business Studies
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- Enhanced pension scheme, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, Wellbeing centre, and much more.
About Study Group
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.