Closing date for applications: 28 April 2017
5 – 10 Hours on Saturdays
0 Hours Contract
IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who want to study or work where English is the language of communication.
This position is available on an ongoing, casual basis and successful candidates will invigilate the listening, reading, writing and Speaking IELTS exams taken by candidates at The Bellerbys College Brighton Test Centre. It is necessary for all invigilators to strictly adhere to and enforce IELTS rules and regulations at all times.
IELTS examinations take place between once and three times a month throughout the year and we expect invigilators to be available for at least one of the Test Centre’s pre-arranged Saturdays every month from 08:00-14:00/18:00.
- To assist in the smooth and professionally run IELTS examinations
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students for who you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
Qualifications and Training
- Full training will be provided by the Test Centre Manager.
- A high level of English required A Level or Equivalent.
- Advanced command of spoken and written English (- if non-native this should be equivalent to IELTS 8.0). Able to deliver information and demonstrate instructions in a clear and confident manner to up to 120 candidates
- A clear enhanced DBS Check (check undertaken prior to employment.)
- Educated to A-level (or equivalent).
- Advanced command of spoken and written English (- if non-native this should be equivalent to IELTS 8.0). Able to deliver information and demonstrate instructions in a clear and confident manner to up to 120 candidates.
- Strong intercultural communication skills with proven empathy for different cultures and levels of English language ability of international test takers.
- Proven ability to follow strict procedures and have a detail-orientated approach.
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal initiative, accountability and responsibility.
- Flexible approach and able to work well under pressure in a busy environment.
- High level or organisational skills.
- Highly motivated, trustworthy, reliable and conscientious.
- Professional in appearance and attitude.
- Understand the need for confidentiality and be willing to sign the relevant ‘Code of Practice’ and ‘Confidentiality Undertaking’ documents.
- Available to work on at least one of the Test Centre’s pre-arranged Saturdays each month throughout the year.
- Customer service experience.
- Previous experience of invigilation.
- Previous experience working in an IELTS Test Centre.
- Knowledge of IELTS and what it entails.
- Presentation experience to large audiences.
- I.T. knowledge and skills and comfortable using new systems quickly.
- Successfully complete an initial training day before being approved as an IELTS Invigilator.
- Seating and assisting candidates with queries.
- Carry out the registration and verification of candidates’ identification according to IELTS regulations and timescales. This includes passport checks, finger-printing and photographing of candidates using biometric software.
- Invigilation of the listening, reading and writing modules. Ensure exam conditions are met at all times.
- Provide exam instructions clearly and confidently to up to 120 candidates using a prepared script.
- Maintain security and discipline at all times. Identify instances of malpractice and respond according to IELTS procedures.
- Deal with problems/queries during the exam by following the required guidelines.
- Assist candidates with special arrangements. In order to meet the specific requirements, this may involve one-to-one invigilation in a separate exam room.
- Attend all training sessions arranged by the Centre.
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
Please apply with a Covering letter and completed application form to Alexis Whisken, IELTS Test Centre Manager.
Application deadline 16:00 on 28 April 2017