Head of Science
Closing date for applications: 19 January 2018
Contract Type: Full Time, Permanent
Study Group is a global leader in providing a transformational learning experience for international students, leaving them with academic success and rewarding careers. 2016 was a successful year with 70,000 students enrolling across 163 countries Above all, providing a fantastic learning experience to our students is at the heart of what we do, so if you are passionate, dedicated, and interested in embarking in a truly fulfilling position, then you’ve come to the right place.
Our Sheffield Study Centre is based in the heart of a friendly and very pleasant city, with picturesque surrounding and a fantastic energy within the team. This is one of our largest Centres which already has a fantastic reputation within the area and an extremely good success rate.
Head of Science will provide the leadership and vision to deliver excellent student outcomes; quality assurance and enhancement that is commended by the QAA; and curriculum innovation which embeds strong collaborative working with both the University and the network.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and supporting the academic team of Science. Reporting to the Assistant Director Curriculum and Progression, you will work closely with senior colleagues within and outside of the College and be accountable for the delivery of contractually required progression rates to the University.
The successful candidate will have recent successful line academic management experience in Science and have proven ability to engage with external stakeholders in collaborative developments.
- Academic Management
- Quality Assurance and Enhancement
Qualifications and Training
- A Bachelor degree and a post graduate qualification
- Experience of providing leadership in a complex multi-disciplinary environment, with evidence of success.
- Experience of delivering outstanding Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Science at level 3, with teaching Physics desirable but not essential
- Experience of Curriculum development
- Experience of providing feedback to another person about their performance, which achieved a positive improvement.
- Experience of HR duties, such as delivering training and taking part in the recruitment process.
- Ability to delegate activities set deadlines and take responsibility for overseeing their successful completion to meet challenging deadlines.
- Experience of successfully leading on internal communication, which includes disseminating complex messages or changes to operations.
- Experience of working with students and an understanding of welfare, well-being and cultural issues which may arise.
- Experience of data management and interpretation, and quality assurance. Experience of being a Science examiner is desirable.
- Experience of working across, up and down an organisation as well as with external partners and both national and international stakeholders.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong team-working skills and experience of team development.
- Knowledge of the needs of student students
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate issues to a wide audience.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Sound IT skills including MS Office and MS Excel and experience of working with databases.
- Strong relationship management skills and experience of working across, up and down an organisation as well as with external partners and stakeholders
- A working knowledge of international admissions activity in UK Higher Education
- A high level of emotional intelligence including: patience and perseverance, good listening skills and empathy, and an ability to stay calm and manage challenging situations firmly and fairly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a pleasant and professional manner
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
Please apply with a CV to email@example.com
Application deadline 19 January 2018