Head of Professional Services
Closing date for applications: 14 July 2017
Hours 37.5 per week
Permanent Full time
Salary up to £33,000
Start date 1 August 2017
Due to growth in student numbers, Liverpool John Moores University International Study Centre are now recruiting a Head of Professional Services. This role will provide the leadership and vision to support sector leading services to students, staff and other key stakeholders. You will play a vital role within the Senior Management Team with the Centre in achieving the delivery of the best possible student outcomes and experience.
You will be responsible for leading and supporting a team of Professional Services staff. Reporting to the Head of Centre, you will work closely with senior colleagues within and outside of the Centre and be accountable for the delivery of exceptional service provision. Critically the successful candidate will need to carefully balance the requirements of the Centre alongside the need for consistency and collaboration with the University and Study Group as a whole.
This person will have leadership and accountability for and direct line management responsibility of a team of staff who will execute and operationalise the development and enhancement plans for the area. Consequently the successful candidate will have recent successful line management experience in a Professional Services discipline and have proven ability to engage in process development and implementation.
Leadership, management and personal development
- Articulate and implement a clear vision for the development of Professional Services in partnership with the host university and the Provider.
- Contribute to strategic planning and policy development and including human resources; academic development; learning, teaching and assessment; and academic quality assurance and enhancement.
- Contribute to senior management meetings in the Centre as appropriate to inform strategic planning and resource allocation including identifying appropriate actions to solve problems and enhance delivery.
- Provide effective performance management of direct reports, including setting personal objectives and KPIs; regularly reviewing performance of direct reports; and conducting formal performance reviews according to company policy and procedures.
- Attend and actively contribute to relevant University partnership Boards and Committees, work with University colleagues through approved liaison points and report regularly on these through the college deliberative and management structures.
- Monitor the key performance indicators in Professional Services to demonstrate its effectiveness in achieving the College’s business objectives and manage performance, where required.
- Manage and address day to day issues that arise ensuring that solutions are sought and problems resolved effectively and efficiently.
- Develop close and effective working relations with key partners within Liverpool John Moores University
Quality assurance and enhancement
- Support the Head of Centre to ensure that the College is fully compliant with Study Group’s, Liverpool John Moores University’s and relevant external agencies’ quality frameworks, policies, procedures and codes of practice.
- Contribute to the production of the Annual Monitoring Report, Centre Action Plan, and other evaluative and reflective documents, for submission to Study Group (the Provider) and the University.
- Work with the Head of Centre and senior academic staff to ensure high levels of automatic progression are achieved for students across all modules, courses and programmes.
- Analyse data and feedback from a wide variety of sources to monitor progress towards progression targets, planning and implementing remedial actions where necessary.
- Maintain, in agreement with the Head of Centre, the Calendar of Business, ensuring quality assurance meetings are diarised, held and minuted, including contributing to governance committees and groups as agreed.
Student Experience and Welfare
- Oversee the customer service operations of the ISC, ensuring consistently high levels of student satisfaction
- Oversee the planning and management of student induction, to ensure all students receive a smooth, legally compliant and efficient entry into the ISC and that all necessary safeguarding arrangements are in place to facilitate each student’s academic success.
- Accountable for ensuring that the Centre is compliant with UKVI regulations and maintains good relations with the central Visa team to be aware of any new and upcoming changes in visa regulations.
- Ensure that the Centre is compliant in relation to Safeguarding responsibilities and staff across the College are aware of their obligations/requirements
- Work with the team to establish proactive initiatives to target and measure a sector leading student experience
- Management of the student data lifecycle, including all assessment, attendance, welfare and progression related data.
- Managing and collating all information to enable the effective timetabling of classes, examinations, assessments and induction activities and associated communications.
- To oversee the correct application of financial procedures and ensure that finance and budget information required by the ISC is accurately and securely maintained.
- To implement and support processes for student payment of fees.
- To liaise with Study Group Finance Department where necessary and ensure that Finance colleagues have regular and accurate finance information.
- Work with colleagues in HR to ensure that the Centre is complaint with all HR related policies and procedures.
- To carry out any other duties as required by the Head of Centre.
- Experience of developing and updating teaching materials, and experience of working with a Virtual Learning Environment
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship and the maintenance of the highest possible academic standards in delivery and assessmen
- High standards of integrity and honesty to facilitate leadership by example
- Strong planning, development and implementation skills
- Action orientated with close attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience.
- Further management or leadership qualifications would be advantageous.
- Experience of managing staff in an office environment.
- Experience of data management and interpretation, and quality assurance.
- Experience of providing advice, guidance or student support in the context of education or training.
- Experience of developing or delivering initiatives with a strong customer service and results focus.
- Experience of working with international students and an understanding of welfare, well-being and cultural issues which may arise.
- Experience of planning and delivering change or continuous improvement.
- Experience of working across, up and down an organisation as well as with external partners and both national and international stakeholders.
- Experience of timetabling and academic data management.
Knowledge and Skills
- Confident in learning and using new student management systems or databases.
- Strong administrative IT skills, in particular advanced Microsoft Excel Skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm and be a performance-driven team player and leader.
- Strong leadership and organisational skills.
- Works on own initiative and is a good team player.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate issues to a wide audience.
- A sound understanding of UK higher education and experience of managing support activity and staff in an international and/or UK further and/or higher education context
- Knowledge of the needs of international students and experience of working with international students.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a pleasant and professional manner
- Knowledge of UKVI T4 regulations and their implications for international students
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
If you are interested and would like to apply for this post, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role to Christina Roberts, Head of Centre.
Application deadline Friday 14 July 2017
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 19 July 2017