Head of English
Closing date for applications: 1 March 2018
Location: Bellerbys College, Cambridge
Role Type: Full Time, Permanent
Are you a dedicated Teacher that is looking for a completely unique teaching experience? Do you thrive from creating an innovative and engaging, student centred learning environment? Would you like to work in a truly breath-taking campus, surrounded by history and thriving Academic culture? If so then this may be the opportunity that you have been looking for.
We are seeking a full time, dynamic Head of English to lead an experienced and capable team of staff in the Faculty, leading a team of 14 staff.
Bellerbys College Cambridge opened in 1996 and is one of three independent colleges in the UK owned by Study Group, which is a global educational organisation. The college caters for international students from all over the world, with over 40 different nationalities represented. We specialise in science and engineering subjects and offer a variety of tailored courses including English language, International GCSEs, A levels and University Foundation courses.
What makes a teaching experience at Bellerbys so unique?
Working for Bellerbys is a truly unique opportunity to work with talented international students from all over the world, with over 40 different nationalities represented. You will be part of the Bellerbys network as well as the global Study Group network which opens up fantastic opportunity for collaboration. Staff Development has a high profile, with mentoring programmes and an annual cycle of Personal Professional Development planning for all staff. The college has high class facilities, providing six modern labs. We are completely student focused putting students first in every aspect of the organisation, and take pride in being a leader of International Education.
- Actively engage in regular and systematic reviews of academic performance, and take action to maintain the highest quality of teaching and learning within the Faculty
- Be accountable for the quality of teaching and learning within the Faculty and provide appropriate advice and training to Faculty members where required
- Ensure high quality assessment procedures, recording and reporting is in place for all courses within the Faculty and continuously measure the effectiveness of these with actual student outcomes
- As a subject area which benefits from substantial curriculum time, delivering a range of courses including IGCSE, AS level Extended Project Qualification, IELTS preparation, the English Language Preparation Programme and the Bellerbys University Foundation Programme, it is expected that the successful applicant will be eager and ready to make a whole college impact.
- Senior Tutor to the English Language Preparation Programme – 12 hours week.
- Natural ability to motivate
- Astudent first mentality and the desire to drive teaching excellence across the faculty
- Proven success driving improved student outcomes
Experience and Qualifications
- Extensive teaching experience in EAL/ESL, ideally with a degree in a faculty related subject.
- TEFL Qualification, ad CELTA, or a DELTA are highly desirable
Knowledge and Skills
- A clear passion for English
- The ability to stay self-motivated
- Excellent communication skills
- A natural ability in building relationships
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
Please apply with a CV and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV will then be screened by our recruitment team and if you are successfully selected you will be invited to take part in a telephone interview. If successful in this stage, we would then look to invite you in for a face to face interview at the college where you will be assessed as well as have the opportunity to take a tour of the beautiful campus, as well as meet the team.
Application deadline 1 March 2018