Head of Business Faculty
Deadline for applications: 17 May 2018
Location: London Bellerbys
Hours / Contract: Full time / Permanent
The role is to lead and manage the Business faculty; with the aim of continuously improving academic delivery and student outcomes. The role holder will also teach a reduced timetable from the subjects delivered by the faculty.
We are seeking a dynamic person who will be a strong advocate for the Business faculty and its future development. They need to be proactive in driving progress through holding themselves and others to the highest standards. They will be accountable for the quality of teaching and learning within the faculty and have a strong focus upon student outcomes.
Bellerbys College London is one of four independent colleges in the UK owned by Study Group, which is a global educational organisation. The college caters for international students from all over the world, with over 40 different nationalities represented. We specialise in Business subjects including Finance, and offer a variety of tailored courses
including English language, GCSEs, A levels and university foundation courses. Our students enjoy academic success and our philosophy for the students is to allow their ambition to flourish by creating a warm and caring environment to support them following their move to live and study in the UK. Located near the beautiful Royal Greenwich Park, just a short walk from the famous Cutty Sark our purposebuilt College has modern classrooms and facilities, including the Learning and Activities Centre and a canteen, and provides both teaching and boarding facilities all on one site, with most of our students staying onsite as boarders. As a boarding school we provide student accommodation in a combination of onsite residential blocks and homestay families, with separate accommodation for boarders who are over 18 years
Professional Development and Staff Welfare at Bellerbys College. The staff are our greatest asset, and we want to ensure that all staff are enabled to work in an effective, enjoyable and fulfilling way. Staff Development has a high profile, with mentoring programmes and anannual cycle of Personal Professional Development planning for all staff. Staff feedback is actively sought on all aspects of college life, as we believe that effective communication and excellent teamwork are central to the continuing success and development of our college.Teaching staff are based in one staffroom, where complimentary refreshments are available throughout the day. The college canteen offers subsidised meals for staff.
- To lead and manage the Faculty in all areas (Business, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Law, Psychology & Politics) with the aim of continuously improving academic delivery and standards, and student outcomes.
- The role will be required to teach a reduced schedule which will vary from time to time.
- Show clear vision, a sense of purpose and have high aspirations for the College, with a strong focus on student outcomes.
- Strategically plan to reflect and promote the College's ambitions and goals through the work of the Faculty.
- Inspire, motivate, influence and provide good role model behaviours for staff and students.
- Create a cohesive and effective team of high quality teaching staff.
- Participate and lead by example in local and college-wide activities.
- Advise students, parents and visitors to the College about courses run by the Faculty.
- Input into and produce marketing materials describing courses run by the Faculty.
- Ensure safeguarding regulations and best practice are met at all times.
- Be accountable for the quality of teaching and learning within the Faculty and provide appropriate advice and training to Faculty members where required.
- Ensure availability of appropriate materials and up to date, effective schemes of work for all subjects in the Faculty. Ensure all relevant subject and syllabus information is disseminated to teaching staff within the Faculty.
- Actively stay abreast of new developments within the subject areas of the Faculty and disseminate these to staff.
- Advise on the allocation of students to classes.
- In conjunction with the Academic Director and others staff as required, take steps to raise provision and outcomes for specific groups of students in the Faculty (eg: SEND, G&T).
- Promote the use of interactive learning technologies across the Faculty by embedding use within the curriculum.
- Ensure there are clear and accurate records and information available for external regulatory inspections.
- Co-ordinate with the Enrichment Manager with regards to the provision of enrichment activities of the Faculty, developing close links to the relevant areas of the curriculum or to provide broader opportunities for learning.
- Ensure high quality assessment procedures, recording and reporting is in place for all courses within the Faculty and continuously measure the effectiveness of these with actual student outcomes.
- Monitor the progress of students in the Faculty. Identify additional interventions to improve likely student outcomes, and share any wider concerns or action plans with Programme Managers, Senior Tutors and Academic Director.
- Analyse the academic results of the Faculty annually and produce the Faculty annual report. Identify trends in data and areas/action plans for further improvement for inclusion in the Faculty/Academic Development plan.
- Ensure Faculty members develop high quality methods and procedures for preparing students for both internal and external examinations.
- Coordinate and check the accuracy of the entry of students for public and internal exams (in conjunction with Exams Officer).
- Ensure there are clear and accurate records and information available for external regulatory inspections.
- Ensure appropriate mix of staff in the Faculty to deliver curriculum and provide sufficient flexibility to cover unexpected absence.
- Liaise with the Academic Director over timetabling for the Faculty.
- Advise/liaise with Academic Director of recruitment requirements on staffing.
- Lead the interview process of candidates for roles within the Faculty, with support from Academic Director and others as required.
- Deliver an effective Faculty induction for all new staff, ensuring new teachers are clear on performance and behaviour expectations in the Faculty and wider College. Monitor performance for new starters on a regular basis as they settle in.
- Undertake regular announced and unannounced observations of lessons of members of the Faculty. Take steps to drive regular peer observations as a means to drive the sharing of best practice.
- In conjunction with the Academic Director, take action to ensure that all staff are supported with timely and appropriate Continual Professional Development.
- Lead formal staff appraisal activities, supported by inputs from Academic Director and Principal as required.
- Act as line manager to staff within the Faculty.
- Hold Faculty meetings on a regular basis, ensuring that decisions and action points are communicated and followed up on a timely basis.
- Attend Heads of Faculty meetings as needed to discuss Faculty and whole college issues.
- Deliver a Teaching load of 12 hours and – where required – provision of cover teaching.
- Assist with the coordination of cover, where required due to teacher absence.
- Manage the Faculty budgets in liaison with Academic Director.
- Ensure appropriate use and availability of Faculty resources.
- Coordinate purchasing of text books and purchasing and maintenance of other resources for the Faculty.
- Advise Academic Director/Principal on any Capital Expenditure bids relating to the Faculty in preparation for each financial year
- Be aware of any Health and Safety issues relating to the Faculty; draft relevant policies, monitor adherence and report any concerns to Academic Director/Principal.
- Ensure all areas pertaining to the Faculty are kept clean and tidy and well presented.
- Ensure appropriate posters and other display materials are available for subjects in the Faculty.
- Advise Academic Director on any staff disciplinary issues within the department and resolve in liaison with senior managers and/or HR partner
Required qualifications and training
- Good first degree in a Faculty-related subject
- Teaching qualification in a Faculty-related subject (desirable)
- Management training will be provided
- Knowledge and awareness of Health & Safety
- Considerable teaching experience within a Faculty-related subject across the range of programmes (ideally to include Finance) delivered at the college
- Track record of driving change amongst teams
- Experience of leading projects or managing Faculty-based initiatives
Knowledge and skills
- Expert teaching knowledge in a Faculty-related subject
- The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and as such all staff will be expected to undergo basic safeguard training and operate within these guidelines
- Enthusiasm and vision
- Strong advocate for the Faculty and its future development. Proactive in driving progress and holds self and others to the highest standards
- Clear and concise communication skills – must be able to communicate effectively via a range of mediums with a range of staff, students, parents and agents
- Strong Leadership and management skills – the ability to lead and manage members of the Faculty to work towards a common goal
- Empathy and patience when dealing with difficult situations, but sufficient drive to recognise when action as to be taken
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills, being proactive in anticipating issues
- Self-motivated, demonstrates energy and passion for the delivery of excellence
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
How to apply
Please apply with a completed application form to Sharon Treharne, PA to Principal & HR Administrator.
Application deadline 9am on Monday 17 May 2018
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.