Head of Boarding
Closing date for applications: 28 July 2017
Bellerbys College Brighton is looking for an interim Head of Boarding to lead and mange a team of residential and house staff across 3 residences attached to an international college in Brighton. Reporting to the Director of Welfare, the successful applicant will be responsible 385 resident students, from over 50 countries, studying a range of subjects including GCSE, A level and foundation courses.
This is an interim post initially for 6 months but with the possibility of an extension. Ideally the successful candidate can start immediately.
Salary: Circa £40K with accommodation
Job Purpose: to provide leadership and management to the Boarding house and Residences, ensuring that they are compliant with inspection and legislative requirements.
- To have oversight of the boarding house and residences including room bookings and rota’s etc.
- To manage the performance of a team of residential supervisors and house staff including 1-2-1’s and yearly appraisals etc.
- To manage the residential staff to ensure that they following policy and procedures related to the boarding provision, safeguarding, medicines and others as appropriate
- To positively promote and continuously improve the student experience
- To be a member of the Multi-Disciplinary Team
- To work closely with the Welfare team to ensure students are safe and safeguarded
- To work closely with the Facilities Manager to ensure the accommodation is clean and fit for purpose
- To work closely with the College Nurse to ensure students are well and cared for.
- To ensure that there is a schedule of in-house activities
- To lead and oversee the student inductions for the Boarding House and Residences
- To assist the Student Services Manager with student surveys and issue resolution
- To be an escalation point for in-house student sanctions
- To ensure the accommodation remain compliant with inspection frameworks, namely the National Minimum Standards
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of students for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
- To produce reports (data and/or narrative) for the senior management team
- To work flexibly with the team across all shifts (day and evening)
- To provide on-call cover over night as per rota
- To undertake any other duty or responsibility deemed reasonable by the Principal or Director of Welfare
- Demonstrates professional maturity
- Is a decision maker with an ability to problem solve
- Demonstrates the ability to engage staff to get the best from them
- Demonstrates the ability to build and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people.
- Demonstrates emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to the use of authority and maintaining discipline.
- Is target focussed and solution driven
Qualifications and Training
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience (Essential)
- BSA Advanced Certificate in Professional Development (Desirable)
- First aid (Desirable)
- Experience of managing a team (Essential)
- Experience within a boarding or student accommodation environment (Essential)
- Experience of inspection frameworks (Ofsted or ISI or other) (Essential)
- Experience of safeguarding (Desirable)
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Inspection Frameworks (Essential)
- Knowledge of the National Minimum Standards (Desirable)
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
The job holder will be expected to operate in accordance with the Study Group Code of Conduct, and any local policies and operating procedures relating to academic, welfare and safeguarding matters.
Bellerbys College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and appointments will be subject to receipt of both satisfactory references and a DBS check.
Please apply with a completed application form and send to Sandy Connors, UK Director of Student Services.
Application deadline Friday 28 July 2017