Closing date for applications: 19 January 2018
Sussex ISC who is partnered with the University of Sussex, is seeking sessional tutors to teach a range of Finance and Accounting subject areas, within a range of courses for international students at Foundation Year (level 3), International Year 1 (level 4) and Pre-Master’s (level 6). Subject areas are likely to include:
• Financial Accounting
• Theory of Investment
• Management Accounting
• Principles of Finance
• Introduction to Accounting (for non-Accounting students)
Candidates should be qualified to at least undergraduate level in their chosen subject. A student-centred approach, good IT and organisational skills are essential. Experience of teaching is desirable; although experience of teaching students within an international context would be highly desirable. A teaching qualification and/or Masters qualification would be an advantage.
Contract type: Variable hours
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules and teaching sessions offered by the Sussex ISC
- Prepare and deliver teaching lecture, seminar and tutorial sessions, with a normal teaching load of up to 25 hours per week
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment
- Mark students’ formative and summative assessments submissions and provide timely feedback to students on their performance, including writing regular student reports and tutorials
- Develop and update course material for modules and teaching sessions, including module material for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Work with the Centre’s Operations team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes.
- Notify and liaise with colleagues where necessary to ensure all students receive appropriate on-going welfare and progression support
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module and teaching session level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of courses
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Attend and contribute to standardisation, moderation and other quality assurance meetings
Academic management and personal development
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely records of teaching and other activities
- Participate in regular training and development activities and maintain a log of these activities
- Carry out any other duties as required from time to time by the Centre Director and/or Deputy Centre Director.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and have a drive and enthusiasm for supporting students in achieving high quality learning outcomes.
Qualifications and Training
- A Bachelor degree in the relevant subject area. Candidates with further qualifications in the subject area will be welcome and a Master’s qualification is normally essential for teaching on international year 1 and the pre-masters programmes.
- Teaching qualification (Desirable)
- Diploma in teaching English (Desirable for teachers of English)
- Experience of teaching in UK higher or further education and experience of working with international students
- EAP experience for teachers of English
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate
Please apply with a covering letter and completed application form to Phil Trott, Head of Business.
Application deadline: 19th January 2018 (earlier applications are encouraged)