Pre-sessional English Language Preparation Tutor
Closing date for applications: 01 May 2017
Part-time, Fixed-term contract commencing July 5th - September 15th 2017
LUISC is seeking to appoint a dynamic and inspirational teacher to join their high performing team. The person appointed will have the opportunity to teach on our Postgraduate Pre-Sessional programme. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the on-going development of the course.
Main duties will be: to develop materials and deliver student-centred lessons incorporating opportunities for developing independent learning skills; to provide learner support; to evaluate learning through a range of assessment methods, and to keep up to date records as required by LUISC. Applicants should have an MA TESOL or equivalent and/ or DELTA with recent experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes. You will also be expected to have tutorial experience; working in both large and small group settings. The successful candidate will be proficient in the use of learning technologies.
The Pre-sessional programme is 20 contact hours per week spread across 5 days.
- To contribute to teaching and assessment on PELP programmes, teaching general academic reading, writing, listening and speaking classes mainly to postgraduate students.
- Evaluating students oral/written work and providing clear and effective feedback.
- To maintain up to date records of student attendance, homework marks and test scores.
- To secure the best performance from each student at their level during their course and in final exams and assessments.
- To contribute to the preparation of student reports.
- Interviewing participants at the beginning of the course to place in appropriate level groups if required.
- Acting as a personal tutor to a small group of students, meeting with them regularly on an individual basis to discuss progress or any difficulties if required
- To provide cover where necessary
- To support the Head of English in the planning, organisation and delivery of PELP programmes.
- To support the Head of English with creating, updating and distributing teaching materials.
- To inform the Head of English of resources and materials requirements.
- To keep up to date with developments in EAP and the use of e-learning resources.
- To attend staff meetings, exam moderation meetings, Assessment Boards, training days and social events which are part of the programme as required.
- To work in a collegial fashion and foster productive relations with other members of staff.
- To carry out other duties as required by the Head of Centre.
The ISC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and appointments will be subject to receipt of both satisfactory references and an enhanced DBS check.
Please apply with a covering letter and completed application form to Lynn Wilson, Head of English.
Closing date: 12 noon Friday 1st May 2017
Proposed interview date: 11th May