Deadline for applications: 15th August 2019
Our Sussex University International Study Centre is looking for a sessional Computing Tutor to join a large team of academic tutors, delivering highly effective modules across one or all of the courses delivered at Sussex ISC, working at one or all of the following levels: Foundation (Level 3); International Year 1 (Level 4); and Pre Masters (Level6).
You will provide innovative, engaging, and student centred lessons to our small classes, that average around 10-15 students. Also you will have the opportunity to contribute to the design, delivery, and development of units and teaching sessions, as well as prepare and deliver teaching lectures, seminars, and tutorials. If you are enthusiastic about Computing, and with a passion for teaching international students, then this is a unique opportunity that shouldn’t be missed.
The successful candidate must be able to teach a variety of Computer Science modules at Foundation and Year 1 undergraduate levels including programming modules using Java. In addition, the ability to teach machine learning techniques for data analysis and robotics would be an advantage.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and have a drive and enthusiasm for supporting students in achieving high quality learning outcomes.
Although surrounded by a beautiful national park, we are only a short train journey from the centre of Brighton.
Contract: Sessional, Variable Hours
Salary: £22.71 - £30.95 per hour DOE
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules and teaching sessions offered by the Sussex ISC
- Prepare and deliver teaching lecture, seminar, tutorial, practical and workshop sessions,
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment
- Mark students’ formative and summative assessments submissions and provide timely feedback to students on their performance, including writing regular student reports and tutorials
- Develop and update course material for modules and teaching sessions, including module material for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module and teaching session level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of courses
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely records of teaching and other activities
- Participate in regular training and development activities and maintain a log of these activities
Skills & Experience
- A Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- MSc. Or PhD in Computer Science or related discipline (Desirable; Required for teaching Pre-Masters)
- Teaching qualification (Desirable)
- Experience of teaching in UK higher or further education and experience of working with international students (Desirable)
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- Enhanced pension scheme, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, Wellbeing centre, and much more.
We are Study Group, a global pathway provider in International Education, working collaboratively with a number of Top Tier Universities. Voted as the 2017 and 2018 Global Pathway Provider of the year, our people are united with the shared ambition of providing a world-class UK education to talented students from across the globe.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same dedication. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.