Closing date for applications: 4 December 2017
Bellerbys College, Cambridge, wishes to appoint a Teacher of Chemistry for January 2018 to join this department. The position is full time (37.5 hours per week) and the successful candidate will be an experienced A level teacher with a genuine passion for the subject.
Bellerbys College, Cambridge, aims to be the first choice destination for international students wanting a pre-university education in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
Contract: Full time, permanent (37.5 hours pw)
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students for who you are responsible for and with whom you come into contact.
Teaching and learning: Delivery of lessons
- Ensure subject knowledge is up-to-date and sufficient to meet the academic and assessment needs of all students in assigned classes
- Deliver programmes in accordance with the national curriculum, where relevant, and with college curriculum policies and schemes of work, ensuring that schemes are updated and adapted throughout programme delivery to reflect the progress and evolving needs of students
- Develop an understanding of the needs and abilities of assigned classes/students and plan accordingly the provision and delivery of teaching and learning activities to meet needs and challenge students appropriately
- Employ a diverse range of teaching and learning practices that motivate, engage, challenge and inspire students to fulfil their individual academic potential
- Fully utilise available technological and other resources to support or enhance classroom and homework activities
- Manage student behaviour in the classroom, including the application of procedures in accordance with behaviour and discipline policies, where needed.
Teaching and learning: Student progress
- Ensure that students understand the learning objectives of their programme and of each individual teaching and learning activity
- Ensure that students can accurately define criteria for measuring their own academic progress and success
- Provide meaningful, constructive and motivating feedback to students in accordance with the relevant assessment policies and procedures
- Record and/or monitor the attendance, academic progress and welfare of students in assigned classes/tutor groups and report or manage concerns in accordance with Bellerbys College academic and welfare policies and procedures.
Teaching and learning: Supporting students
- Provide support to students who have additional/special educational needs or disability, to help them to reach their academic potential
- Provide opportunities within class time, through homework and trips/visits for students to develop and practice English language skills and enrich their subject learning
- Foster in students a responsible and self-motivated approach to their learning to support their progress towards becoming independent learners with the skills to thrive in a higher education environment
- Support the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all students with whom you come into contact
- Advise and support students regarding their progression to university or to their next programme of study, in line with the progress management and progression policies.
- Be familiar with, uphold and implement the academic and welfare values, principles, policies and procedures of Bellerbys College
- Create a positive and safe learning environment that engenders mutual respect and embraces diversity
- Work with all students and colleagues from a standpoint of equality, understanding and tolerance
- Ensure that conduct and appearance are professional and respectful at all times
- Actively contribute to the wider life of the college, for example, through involvement with extra-curricular activities or academic development initiatives
- Attend internal management meetings, as requested
- Continuously evaluate your own performance as a teacher, take responsibility for your own professional development, and engage with opportunities provided by the college for continuing professional development (CPD) and other training
- Undertake mandatory training, during induction and throughout your time at Bellerbys College, in accordance with the relevant policies and procedures
- Actively contribute towards college self-evaluation practices
- Support and work together with colleagues, sharing best-practice, for mutual benefit and the advantage of students.
Subject teachers who also have a role as a personal tutor should be referred to the specific additional job description for that role.
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
Please apply with a CV, covering letter and completed application form to Marta Wilk.
Application deadline: 4pm 4 December 2017