Closing date for applications: 22 February 2018
Hours: 37.5hrs per week
Permanent: Full time
Start date: April 2018
Due to growth in student numbers, Liverpool John Moores University International Study Centre are now recruiting a Business tutor to join the existing teaching team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching modules to students on university preparation programmes offered by the Centre. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and innovative tutor. The right candidate will have a natural ability to motivate students and deliver high quality teaching as well as carrying out relevant pastoral functions. You will enjoy working with international students, be performance driven and be able to work co-operatively and flexibly with other colleagues. We are looking for a patient tutor who is committed to providing an interesting and effective learning experience to our students.
Teaching and learning, student progress and delivery of lessons
- To deliver high quality teaching to groups of international students
- To undertake marking and feedback provision on a formative and summative basis, whilst complying with quality standards and processes.
- To act as a Module Leader in relevant subject areas to include coordinating a team of tutors, updating module handbooks, preparing module assessment analysis and review reports and detailed schemes of work (indicative)
- To deliver schemes of work effectively, to set assessments and mark these in a timely manner.
- To teach up to a maximum of 25 hours per week (teaching contact time) across a number of different Business modules.
- To implement enhancement and enrichment activities across the curriculum (both inside and outside of classroom)
- To act as a personal/group tutor to provide academic and pastoral support to students.
- To ensure student punctuality, attendance and appropriate behaviour in class/teaching rooms.
- To maintain accurate and up to date records of student attendance and assessment grades.
- To maintain accurate progression risk tracking and student performance data.
- To make every effort to secure the best performance from each student at their level both during their course and in final exams and assessments.
- To actively promote the use of differentiation in the classroom.
- To actively promote the creative use of TEL (technology enhanced learning), and ensure the VLE (virtual learning environment) meets provider and university standards for the modules you teach.
- To contribute to the preparation of mid and end of term reports on and for students.
- To be responsible for creating and updating teaching materials
- To undertake projects as directed by the Head of Programmes.
- Provide cover where necessary.
- To attend and contribute to staff meetings and assessment boards, where necessary.
- To keep up to date with developments in academic teaching and skills including the use of e- learning resources
- To work in a collegial fashion and foster productive relations with ISC and HEI colleagues
- To contribute towards continuing professional development and lead on relevant CPD sessions
- To carry out any other duties as required by the Head of Programmes and/or Head of Centre.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Relevant teaching qualification (PGCE, Masters Degree and/or Phd)
- Minimum 4 years’ experience teaching Business modules to International students on university preparation courses up to Pre-Masters level, or at an equivalent level
- Competence in administration and IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance driven team player
- Experience of developing and updating teaching materials and experience of working with a Virtual Learning Environment
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
Please apply with a CV and a completed application form to ISCAdmin@ljmu.ac.uk
Application deadline 22 February 2018