Business Studies Tutor
Closing date for applications: 30 March 2018
University of Sussex International Study Centre, partnered with the University of Sussex, is seeking sessional tutors and cover tutors to teach a range of Business, Management and Economics subject areas within a range of courses for international students at Foundation Year (level 3), International Year 1 (level 4) and Pre-Master’s (level 6). Subject areas are likely to include:
- Business Organisations and Law
- Business Management
- Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Business Law
- Organisational Behaviour
Candidates should be qualified to at least undergraduate level in their chosen subject. A student-centred approach, good IT and organisational skills are essential. Experience of teaching is desirable; although experience of teaching students within an international context would be highly desirable. A teaching qualification and/or Masters qualification would be an advantage.
Job Purpose: to deliver highly effective modules across one or all of the courses delivered at Sussex ISC, working at one or all of the following levels: Foundation (Level 3); International Year 1 (Level 4); and Pre Masters (Level6).
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules and teaching sessions offered by the Sussex ISC
- Prepare and deliver teaching lecture, seminar and tutorial sessions, with a normal teaching load of up to 25 hours per week
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment
- Mark students’ formative and summative assessments submissions and provide timely feedback to students on their performance, including writing regular student reports and tutorials
- Develop and update course material for modules and teaching sessions, including module material for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Work with the Centre’s Operations team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes.
- Notify and liaise with colleagues where necessary to ensure all students receive appropriate on-going welfare and progression support
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module and teaching session level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of courses
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance
- Attend and contribute to standardisation, moderation and other quality assurance meetings
Academic management and personal development
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle
- Maintain and submit accurate and timely records of teaching and other activities
- Participate in regular training and development activities and maintain a log of these activities
- Carry out any other duties as required from time to time by the Centre Director and/or Deputy Centre Director.
Qualifications and Training
- A Bachelor degree in the relevant subject area. Candidates with further qualifications in the subject area will be welcome and a Master’s qualification is normally essential for teaching on international year 1 and the pre-masters programmes
- Teaching qualification (Desirable)
- Diploma in teaching English (Desirable for teachers of English)
- Experience of teaching in UK higher or further education and experience of working with international students
- EAP experience for teachers of English
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
Please apply with a completed application form with a cover letter to Phill Trott, Head of Business.
Application deadline 30 March 2018