Closing date for applications: 8 May 2017
The purpose of the role is to be responsible for the academic and curriculum management of the college, overseeing the delivery and effectiveness of the teaching staff, programmes and the overall quality of the academic delivery. Providing inspirational leadership, oversight and co-ordination of teaching, learning and assessment and academic administrative management.
Direct Manager: Principal
Direct Reports: Heads of Faculty, Programme Managers, UG1 Co-ordinator, Learning & Activity Staff, Academic Administrators and Enrichment Manager
Hours & Pattern: Monday – Friday, 09:00 – 17:30 with 30 minutes unpaid break and being on call one night per week for emergency calls from Resident Supervisor Team/Security
Academic and Operational Management
- Decision making/autonomy - management of the Academic Departments
- Provide inspiration leadership and direction to the Academic Management team
- Act as a positive role model and the lead practitioner for all teaching staff, ensuring that a culture of high performance and accountability is maitntained throughout the Academic Management team
- Driver the faculty self-evaluation processes including data analysis, self-evaluation report and action plans
- Ensure the quality of academic provision is judged by "Good" or better and moving towards outstanding by ISI and other external agencies/organisations
- Maintain oversight of thw quality of teaching staff on campus, motivate staff to develop and contribute to the best of their abililities ensuring the academic standards are maintained across all courses offered
- Maintain oversight of the student journey ensuring the process is operating effectively
- Oversee the curriculum and timetable planning for the anticipated student intake on a termy basis including provision of appropriate classroom facilities and teaching staff
- Accountability for producing a flexible and effective timetable to ensure the capacity is economically managed at all times and the timetabling strategy communicated to staff
- Organise a teaching cover system
- Maintain oversight of the academic progression of students ensuring
- Work as part of the Senior Management Team to ensure the effective leadership of the College.
- Liaise with Heads of Faculty and Programme Managers and regarding all course related matters.
- Ensure that pastoral and safeguarding matters are appropriately dealt with via relevant staff
- Ensure attendance management is effective, check reports and trends are identified and strategies are maintained so that attendance levels are in line with college policy and UKVI regulations.
- Oversee the work of Programme Managers in providing timely reports, tracking student progress and ensuring university applications are made in good time.
- Oversee the work of Heads of Faculty in ensuring teaching staff are effectively line-managed, appraised and that the quality of their preparation and teaching work remains of a high standard.
- Accountability for the examination process including examination entries and prompt communication of results.
- Take responsibility for monitoring and responding to referral questions from Sales and Admissions staff
- Manage the academic budget (staffing, training, resources, materials) within the constraints set each year and actively seek out opportunities to improve cost effectiveness.
- Input into Programme development in liaison with Principal, the Programme Managers and other Academic Directors
- Actively participate in Bellerbys Cross College Academic Committee (BCCAC) with project management of delegated areas connected to the role
- Actively participate in the Academic Learning Team (ALT) meetings and projects
- Be familiar with the general entrance requirements of each course offered by the college and the general terms and conditions applicable to students
- Stay abreast of external exam boards and relevant syllabus changes and requirements of the validating body for any internal courses
- Recruitment and management of appropriate academic staffing levels in consultation with the Principal and safer recruitment processes
- Implement the lesson observation, peer observations and appraisal system for the academic department
- Lead appropriate induction for new academic staff
- Arrange appropriate INSET and CPD for the academic department
- Manage HR processes as required including capability, disciplinary and grievances
- Promote a positive image of the College and company, represent the College at student recruitment events when required (including overseas)
- Actively seek to raise Bellerbys College's profile and reputation by participating in and facilitating the participation of others in e.g. forums, conferences, writing articles and materials for publication
- Assist with local marketing trips, meeting with agents, parents, and prospective students as required
- Liaise with Admissions and Sales for student referrals and agent / student visits
- Meet with parents and visitors to the college
- Deal with external agent and parent matters, liaising with Principal and other staff as appropriate
- Resolve student and agent complaints in line with the college policy
- Other related activities as may be reasonably requested by the Principal
- Occasional teaching cover when necessary
- Is motivated to work with children and young people
- Demonstrates the ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people
- Demonstrates emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviour
- Ability to take difficult decisions and communicate the reasons for these to staff
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to the use of authority and maintaining discipline
Qualifications and Training desirable
- Good first degree (ideally in a business-oriented, legal or other commercial subject)
- Recognised academic teaching qualification
- Proven academic and curriculum management experience.
- Evidence of a clear track record of effective line management of teaching and other academic staff
- Evidence of having led teacher training and teacher development sessions.
- A track record of delivering quality improvements in the teaching and learning of a school or College
- Strong evidence of ability to work collaboratively, including across different areas and building teams
- Significant teaching experience across a range of age groups
- Recent experience within a high performing post 16 education provider
- Recent experience within the international education market in a commercial setting
- Strong awareness of Safeguarding, Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities
- Proven experience in resolving problems and complaints within the context of staff and students to a satisfactory outcome
- HR experience, including staff disciplinary and grievance resolution
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong proven leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to provide decisive and firm management of line-managed teaching and academic staff
- Strong administration skills
- Highly developed thinking skills which show initiative and ability to analyse, interpret and apply data collated
- Team working skills
- Excellent time management skills to meet tight deadlines and manage own time effectively
- Good ICT skills to use systems effectively
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Highly developed skills in planning and organising curriculum
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder. The job holder will be expected to operate in accordance with the Study Group Code of Conduct, and all local Bellerbys Colleges policies and operating procedures relating to academic, welfare and safeguarding matters. Including promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students for who you are responsible for and with whom you come into contact.
Sometimes requests have specific application copy supplied.
The default copy is as follows:
Please send a CV and completed application form to Sharon Treharne.
Application deadline 8 May 2017.