Deadline for applications: N/A
Contract Type: Fixed term / full time
Study Group Australia is a provider of Higher Education, Career Training and English language courses to Australian and International students. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Student Counsellor to join our team at Charles Sturt University, Study Centre Melbourne.
Reporting to the Student Engagement Manager, this role provides initial counselling support and deliver the student mental health educational program; promoting emotional, psychological and social well-being for our Students at Melbourne Campus:
The key responsibilities of the Student Counsellor role include but not limited to:
- Provide professional counselling support and services to students
- Conduct initial risk assessment to support well-being and safety of students
- Maintain and develop, implement and provide all relevant documentation for student welfare
- Write reports to support student are provided to key staff in a timely manner
- Refer student to external professional support services where required
- Work with Students from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Develop and provide internal and external counselling resources, flyers, notices and brochures to build student awareness of services, mental health and wellbeing
- Provide support and assistance at campus student events to support and promote student’s wellbeing
- Provide students with pastoral care but not clinical management
- Produce a library of online resources in the shared drive for staff to access on general mental health and wellbeing
- Work through 1-1 counselling, group workshops and facilitation sessions
- Provide admin and reception support when required
The successful candidate must have:
- A degree in psychology or social work
- Full registration as a psychologist within Australia (Australian Psychological Society – APS) or membership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) or eligibility
- 3 to 4 years of subsequent relevant experience in a similar role with a demonstrated depth and breadth of knowledge, skills and experience in adult developmental issues.
Key knowledge / skills required:
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry specific best practice and research relevant to the role.
- Demonstrated ability in effectively using a range of age appropriate strategies and interventions to improve outcomes for students.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an inclusive and supportive manner with staff, parents and the wider campus community to support students.
- Demonstrated ability to foster effective communication, consultation, collaboration and teamwork with students, staff, and the wider campus community.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and build respectful, influential relationships with students.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, including the ability to produce reports and statistics on the counselling science.
- Demonstrated ability for resilience to the sensitive matters that students have experienced
- Demonstrated commitment to personal professional learning and self-development.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Experience working in an educational environment
- This is a full-time fixed-term contract for 12 months with potential to become permanent. There may be some travel required occasionally.
- Competitive remuneration commensurate with experience
- Supportive team
- Great environment to support personal and professional development
Sounds like you?
If you have a passion for student wellbeing and to be part of a fast paced environment – a job at CSU Study Centre is for you!
Interested applicants should apply with a cover letter, statement addressing selection criteria and resume by 31st December, 2019.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications
- We are only able to consider applicants with the right to live and work in Australia permanently;
- This role requires a Working with Children Check, which must be gained at the successful candidate's own expense prior to appointment.
About Study Group
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.