Head of Governance
Deadline for applications: 24th September
Contract type: 12 month Contract
Our vision is to create a better world through education. Our mission is to be the leading provider of international education, driving success for our students and partners. We believe in a better world through education, and work with university teams who are as motivated as us to drive student success. We will achieve this with highly engaged teams who will learn and grow at work so we drive student success, operational excellence and growth together, as one team.
The ‘Study Group Way’ provides six guiding principles to bring our strategy to life in our day-to-day work – student success, compliance focus, outside-in thinking, data-driven processes and insights, performance culture, and one team.
The primary purpose of this role is to contribute to the managerial leadership and administration of SGAs Secretariat and Governance function as it pertains to assurance activity, broadly defined, across the Company.
The role will support a diverse range of support including proposing, monitoring and executing workflow to and from Senior Management and the Academic and Corporate Boards of SGA as they pertain to all matters of strategy (by supporting the Head of Governance, Quality & Compliance), policy, assurance, risk and compliance. The role will be the senior in-house resource for interpreting, applying, explaining and developing policies, guidelines, procedures, providing agendas and meeting minutes for all joint management committees and their sub-committees for all host university partnership and third party arrangements.
- To provide the suite of secretarial, policy and strategic support to the team members of, the Head of Governance, Quality and Compliance and support to SGA senior management for all host university partnership joint management committees, including third party arrangements;
- To ensure that the work plans and workflow to, and from corporate and academic governance are regularly occurring and are maintained compliant with Higher Education Standards Framework (HESF), and best practice in corporate and academic governance;
- To assist with the integration and preparation for approval by Head, GQC, and Company Secretary, the work of disparate business units across SGA through the corporate and academic governance arms, and as required, senior management;
- To maintain or update all corporate policies as and when they are due, and to lead and coordinate the process for identifying and integrating all SGA managerial recommendations and advice for new policy and procedure;
- To be across and to aide with the coordination of the work of the GQC in a timely fashion in order that all activity related to SGA’s governance and Risk Management framework are up to date and at the best possible caliber relative to industry standards;
- To facilitate, support and contribute to the leadership of SGA’s annual strategic planning and the creation of business intelligence within and across the organization such that management activity is defined, measured and tracked and supports the pursuit of the SGA annual plan(s), and Study Group’s Vision 2022.
- Implementation, monitoring and tracking of all matters arising from corporate and academic board and their sub-committees in conjunction with the office of the CoSec
- Working with the Head of Governance, Quality and Compliance to develop the annual agenda setting for Board of Directors and Academic Board meetings
- Secretariat support for the Board of Directors and ensuring minutes and papers are of a high caliber and appropriately reflect discussions
- Oversight for continuous improvement and monitoring the effectiveness of SGA’s corporate and academic governance, including acquittal against governance standards in the Higher Education Standards Framework and implementation of agreed actions from external review
- Within the annual agenda for the Board and Academic Board, preparing individual agendas and preparing and commissioning papers to facilitate proper governance deliberation and decision-making
- Oversight, preparation for, day to day execution and management of the Assurance Framework as it pertains to major and minor reviews of, and by Management and Governance in collaboration with other SGA resources, as required (e.g. Company Secretary, Internal Audit)
- General support and coordination in relation to all compliance, risk and assurance matters for senior management to the SGA Board and its sub-committees.
Compliance is one of Study Group’s guiding principles. The holder of this position is deemed a Responsible Officer for the purposes of Study Group’s Compliance Policy.
Responsible Officers must:
- Develop and discharge a programme of compliance monitoring and corrective activity, and review it within the unit’s annual business plans and KPIs.
- Recommend changes to the unit’s day-to-day operations to meet the requirements of the SGA Compliance Policy.
- Consider ongoing and structured/ formal education and opportunities to build team awareness of compliance obligations.
- Collaborate with Study Group Compliance Officers to prepare an Annual Compliance Plan for their area, and sign off on it to support the unit’s own reviews and checks on compliance obligations.
- Have a detailed and working knowledge of the applicable higher education regulations and legislation (e.g. National Code 2018, ESOS Act, TEQSA Threshold Standards, etc.) relating to their business unit, its work, and its contribution to SGA’s overall compliance.
- Degree educated or equivalent tertiary qualification or similar experience
- Knowledge of higher education governance, and related legislative and policy frameworks
- 5+ years’ experience in secretariat or governance function of a complex organization in an externally regulated sector with applicability to the education industry.
- Direct experience supporting corporate and academic boards and their obligations in a higher education setting preferred.
- Experience in leading and supporting senior management and corporate board in strategic planning and execution;
- Corporate policy development suitable for a complex organization;
- Experience of project team work
- Experience of ANZ education industry regulations preferred by not essential
About Study Group
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
Application deadline - Tuesday 24th September.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.