Head of Compliance
Deadline for applications: 20th October
Contract Type: Full Time
Our vision is to create a better world through education. Our mission is to be the leading provider of international education, driving success for our students and partners. We believe in a better world through education and work with university teams who are as motivated as us to drive student success.
We will achieve this with highly engaged teams who will learn and grow at work so we drive student success, operational excellence and growth together, as one team.
The ‘Study Group Way’ provides six guiding principles to bring our strategy to life in our day-to-day work – student success, compliance focus, outside-in thinking, data-driven processes and insights, performance culture, and one team.
To provide overall annual leadership and execution across all facets of the business in the continuous improvement and design of a suitable compliance framework and set of compliance controls across first and second lines of defence for SGA.
The Head of Compliance will carry responsibility for:
- Coordinating allocated functions and initiatives under the Study Group ANZ academic and corporate compliance frameworks, including those designed to drive review and reform of Study Group ANZ’s compliance structures and systems.
- Managing key priority and strategic projects for the Compliance portfolio as directed.
- Fostering strong relationships and working collaboratively to support the development of a partnership approach between the Governance, Quality, Compliance and Risk portfolio, and all levels of Study Group ANZ’s business.
- Sets the broad direction of the workflow and outputs of the team members in the compliance unit to achieve a business partnering service to achieve the unit’s goals and KPI, and to fulfil all requirements of the SGA Compliance and Risk Management Framework;
- Brings experience and insight to recommend adjustments to the SGA Compliance and Risk Management Framework across both management and compliance arms of the business;
- Oversees an annual program of compliance management activity in order to be able to prepare and recommend a regular and at least annual certification of compliance to the Head of Governance, Quality and Compliance;
- Ensures a systematic and proactive framework of documentary evidence of compliance controls exist and are monitored in relation to first and second lines of defence activity reviews with business units exist;
- Recommends and assists with policy development suitable for the continuous improvement of SGA based on matters arising from compliance, risk activity and reviews;
- Under broad supervision from the Head of GQC, leads the preparation of reports (board, committee and stakeholder reporting) on behalf of the compliance unit;
- Is charged with the proactive identification and reporting of regulatory risks, breaches and incidents across the organisation at both the corporate and business unit level. Monitors and supports business units and senior management to manage the corporate risk register and ensures appropriate treatment plans are in place with the right personnel responsible in the business;
- Provides high-level compliance advice and training or awareness activities to the business units on regulatory matters, compliance and internal policy requirements;
- Builds relationships with senior stakeholders, responsible officers, senior and junior management across the organisation to influence alignment of business operations to required standards;
- Supports the Head of GQC with complying with relevant Australian and New Zealand regulatory interactions such as licence applications, renewals, requests to and from regulators, breach notifications, etc;
- Manage and oversee major aspects of Compliance related projects including scoping, planning, implementation, logistics coordination, monitoring, resource coordination, reporting and budget management.
- Independently build and maintain constructive working relationships with key senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Act as a cohesive link between the Governance, Quality, Compliance and Risk portfolio, and the business and education operations units of SG ANZ, in relation to policy development, review and implementation, service delivery and provision of advice.
- Liaise regularly with project stakeholders to ensure achievement of project objectives.
Experience and qualifications
- An undergraduate qualification required (postgraduate preferred) or equivalent work experience in a large complex business in a highly regulated environment.
- Significant leadership experience in an executive capacity with compliance responsibility (Higher Education preferred) coordinating and advocating the work of people, tasks and multiple business units.
- Experience providing the compliance work and activity across an educational institution to enable SGA senior management to liaise with and respond proactively to Commonwealth and other national regulators;
- Proven ability to anticipate and/or respond to the external regulatory environment, marry, align and improve internal provider processes for higher education providers in Australia and / preferably also New Zealand.
- Verbal and written influencing and communication skills to effect change across technical and cultural dimensions of the organisation from corporate board and sub-committees, senior management and at the cross-functional business unit level.
- Competitive remuneration
- Supportive team
- Great environment to support personal and professional development
About Study Group
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.