Regional Officer (China)
Deadline for applications: n/a
Contract type: Permanent, full time
Location: Either Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu
The Regional Officer’s primary responsibility will be to meet student recruitment targets for mainland Chinese students to Surrey’s undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The post holder will work closely with the Senior International Officer (East Asia) in Surrey’s International Student Recruitment Office, which is based in Guildford, Surrey UK. In addition, the Regional Officer will provide support to Study Group in the recruitment of students to the Surrey International Study Centre, working closely with two members of Study Group’s recruitment team based in China, who are dedicated to Surrey ISC only. The Regional Officer will also have opportunities to contribute to other aspects of the University’s work in China, particularly in supporting the development of Surrey’s alumni network in China, and in other parts of East Asia where the University works, namely; Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.
Note: This role will require extensive travel within Mainland China, and possibly to other international markets in the region, as well as occasional travel to the UK.
1. Student Recruitment
Undertake recruitment activities in China, including attendance at exhibitions and visits to universities and schools, with a focus on the recruitment of students onto postgraduate taught programmes, postgraduate research programmes and undergraduate programmes at the University of Surrey.
2. Education Agents Network
Develop Surrey’s links with key education agents in Mainland China, undertaking training of counsellors and developing effective relationships with staff at agent’s offices across the country. Respond quickly and effectively to enquiries from agents, including managing enquiries received via the University’s main WeChat account and smaller agent-specific WeChat groups.
3. Market research and insight
Provide advice to the University on developments in the China market so as to inform the University’s China Marketing and Recruitment strategy.
4. Marketing and social media
Support the development of Surrey’s social media and digital engagement in China, including advice on development of Surrey’s website, weibo site, and WeChat account. Regularly update these channels, in accordance with University guidelines.
5. Communication with applicants
Provide advice and support (e.g. face-to-face, via e-mail and on skype) to applicants/offer holders to/of Surrey.
6. Administration and planning
Provide monthly reports of activity and future plans; and maintain good records.
Undertake other activities as required and contribute fully to the work of Surrey’s international student recruitment team.
- Educated to Degree standard or significant relevant experience
- Experience of working in the higher education sector and / or knowledge of UK higher education
- Experience of working in a marketing, sales or customer-facing role
Candidates who possess the below will be advantageous:
- Post Graduate qualification
- Experience of International student recruitment in higher education
- Knowledge of the University of Surrey (as a student and / or in a professional capacity)
Aptitude, skills and disposition
(Applicants for this post are advised to read the University of Surrey’s Competency Framework available at: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/jobs/files/competencyframework.pdf)
- Excellent bilingual skills in Mandarin Chinese and English (both written and verbal). Knowledge of Cantonese would also be useful, though is certainly not essential.
- Good IT skills, including experience of using MS Word, MS Excel, and email.
- Experience of giving presentations and running events
- Experience of dealing with cultural sensitivity issues requiring tact, diplomacy and a calm approach in difficult situations
- Experience of using social media sites in a professional context
- Planning and organising - ability to complete work within deadlines and to agreed standards. Able to make and deliver long term plans.
- Problem solving and decision-making ability to analyse situations and to make complex decisions in situations where problem solving is not straight forward.
- Customer/Client service and support - actively seeks customer/client/ student feedback. Looks to continuously review and improve performance standards of self and team.
- Influencing, Persuasion and Negotiation Skills - capacity to advise others and deal with sensitive issues in difficult situations inside and outside own area.
Applicants must provide a cover letter in English explaining how they meet the above criteria, as well as a CV in English.
About Study Group
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trust us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
How to apply
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please submit a CV on our jobs board and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.
What does a role at Study Group mean?
We are a unique business within the sector, giving our people a completely different working experience.
We have a large global network and encourage collaboration across the whole business. We work with a number of partners across the network including top tier universities.
We encourage innovation throughout our Centres, ensuring that our students are given an interactive, student centred, and creative, tailor-made learning experience. Our people are given an autonomy within their roles that is rarely seen within the industry.
We believe in continuous professional and personal development, and take pride in offering our staff ample opportunity to achieve their goals. Utilising our large organisational infrastructure, across our different brands, we invite our people to gain valuable experience, and maximise all the exciting tools available to help develop their career.