Industry speakers and academic staff from Study Group’s European centres gathered to explore assessment and feedback methods at the 2018 Learning and Teaching Conference.
More than 300 delegates attended the conference and awards dinner at the Queen’s Hotel in Leeds on 14th and 15th June. Representatives from every International Study Centre in the UK and Europe, Bellerbys College and Embassy English attended the event.
Study Group Chief Operating Officer, UK and Europe, Mike Everett said: “I’m delighted that we are having our 2018 European Learning and Teaching Conference in Leeds. This conference has a clear focus on assessment and feedback, which is clearly critical to our students’ success.”
The conference included more than 30 speeches and interactive sessions from industry professionals, university professors and academic staff within Study Group.
Sessions explored topics such as performance monitoring, strategies in pedagogical and professional feedback, assessment research and team-based learning.
Guest speakers from top universities
Speakers included Dr Sam Elkington from the Advance Higher Education Academy, Professor Carol Evans from the University of Southampton, Dr Naomi Winston from the University of Surrey and David Walker at the University of Sussex.
The biennial conference is a chance for academic staff to develop their teaching, share best practice and explore new models. This professional development of teaching staff supports Study Group’s ambition to prepare students for life in a global society.
"It has given me the opportunity to stop and think about how I can improve my lessons,” said a delegate from a previous conference.
2018 award winners
The Learning and Teaching Conference awards dinner on 14th June celebrated excellence in five categories, plus one overall award. The categories represent Study Group’s core values, which place student success at the forefront.
- Students First - Acting Head of English Simon Gray – UCD International Study Centre
- Ambitious – Head of Science and Senior Tutor Helen Andrews and Science Teacher Thomas Peel-Yates – Bellerbys College Brighton
- Delivering – Business Teacher Vivienne Oxley – University of Huddersfield International Study Centre
- Curious – Head of English Rosa Maria Fera – University of Strathclyde International Study Centre
- Huddle – Academic and Professional Services team – University of Strathclyde International Study Centre
- Overall Learning and Teaching Conference Award – Bellerbys College Brighton
Teams across Study Group worked to make this year’s conference a success, from Academic and Management to Marketing and Creative Services.
Professor Paul McDermott, Conference Chair and Director of Learning, Teaching and Quality Enhancement said: “Thank you to all of my colleagues on the planning committee for their hard work and dedication in making this event happen and to ensure that conference was so successful.”