Exceptional results for our UK universities in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
06 October 2017
Study Group celebrates outstanding results for the UK universities it works with, ranked in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018. The Guide places three Study Group collaborating universities in the top ten, including Lancaster University, which was named ‘University of the Year’.
Top 10 UK universities
The Good University Guide 2018 places three Study Group collaborating universities in the UK’s ten best universities. Durham University takes fifth place, celebrating ten years in a top ten position. The University of Leeds rises three places to enter the top 10 at 10th, and Lancaster University jumps to sixth place. Named University of Year, Lancaster also takes the top spot for Best Campus University and Best University in the North West.
Top 50 success
A further eight universities we work with are named in the top 50:
- University of Surrey (19th)
- The University of Sheffield (21st)
- University of Sussex (27th)
- Royal Holloway University (28th)
- University of Leicester (34th)
- University of Strathclyde (41st)
- Coventry University (44th)
- Keele University (50th)
Also making considerable gains, the University of Huddersfield moves up 12 places to 65th, and Liverpool John Moores University rose 16 places to 70th.
The Guide’s individual subject rankings also highlight considerable strengths among our collaborating universities:
- Coventry University ranks 10th for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism.
- Durham University remains strong in Arts and Humanities, ranking second in both History and Archaeology.
Durham also holds top ten rankings across a range of other subjects:
- Geography and Environmental Science (2nd)
- Chemistry (3rd)
- Geography (4th)
- Mathematics (5th)
- Biological Sciences (6th)
- Computer Science (6th)
- General Engineering (7th)
- Law (7th).
University of Huddersfield enters the top 10 for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism (9th).
Lancaster University boasts top ten rankings in:
- Accounting and Finance (3rd)
- Business Studies (4th)
- Biological Sciences (5th)
- Communication and Media Studies (5th)
- Geography and Environmental Science (8th)
- Physics and Astronomy (8th)
- Mathematics (9th)
- Chemistry (9th).
University of Leeds cements its position as a top 10 university, with several subjects gaining top 10 rankings:
- Food Science (2nd)
- Communication and Media Studies (3rd)
- Sports Science (3rd)
- Accounting and Finance (4th)
- Aeronautical and Manufacturing Engineering (5th)
- Mechanical Engineering (5th)
- Economics (6th)
- Civil Engineering (7th)
- Law (8th)
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering (9th)
- Business Studies (10th).
University of Leicester continues to rank highly in Communication and Media Studies (13th) and Geology (20th).
University of Lincoln ranks 4th for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism and 13th for General Engineering.
Liverpool John Moores University remains strong in General Engineering (17th) and Sports Science (19th).
Royal Holloway University of London ranks sixth for Geology and 11th for Geography and Environmental Science.
University of Strathclyde is named first for Accounting and Finance. It also takes a strong position in several other subjects:
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering (4th)
- Architecture (5th)
- Business Studies (5th)
- Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism (5th)
- Mechanical Engineering (8th)
- Civil Engineering (9th).
The University of Sheffield continues to prove its strength in engineering, being placed eighth for Chemical Engineering, second for Materials Technology, and 10th for both Mechanical Engineering and General Engineering. It’s also first for Communications and Media Studies and third for Architecture.
University of Surrey still holds the top spot for Food Science. It’s placed sixth for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism, seventh for both Computer Science and Electronic and Electrical Engineering, and 10th for both Mechanical Engineering and Sports Science.
University of Sussex takes top 20 places for Physics and Astronomy (12th), Communications and Media Studies (15th), Accounting and Finance (16th), Sociology (15th), Geography and Environmental Science (17th), and Psychology (16th).
Our congratulations go out to all our UK collaborating universities for such a fantastic start to the new academic year. Find out more about Study Group’s UK universities.
Back to all articles