Senior Financial Accountant
Closing date for applications: 26th August 2016
Are you a qualified Finance professional with line management experience and great excel abilities? Study Group is an international organisation based in Brighton 2 minutes from the station is expanding its Financial Accounting team.
You and your 2 direct reports will be responsible for maintenance of the general ledger (revenue, payroll, overheads & marketing), variance analysis, balance sheet reporting, reconciliation and controls, monitoring of system and processes. The role focuses on our UK Higher Education division, however you will also need to have excellent working relationships with the Corporate and FP&A teams across the Group.
In addition there will also be responsibility for month end task and supporting the Financial Control Manager in various tasks.
Financial Reporting (internal and external)
- Maintenance of UK general ledgers including revenue postings, accruals, and other general ledger journals.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of coding of invoices, expenses and other items across the UK entities, including overseas offices within SGUK
- Ensure all payroll journals (UK and RO) relating to UK entities are correctly posted
- Liaise with the Financial Planning and Analysis team to explain monthly variances
- Prepare quarterly reporting packs for Group Corporate Team and audit pack for auditors
- Prepare cash flow forecast
- Prepare financial statements
Maintain control and integrity of systems and processes
- Prepare and review monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, including revenue, debtors, unearned revenue, accruals and prepayments, and ensure differences are identified and resolved
- Troubleshoot on Study Global, Agresso and other systems related issues as required
- Review and confirm group intercompany balances at month end
- Ensure compliance with the company delegated authority procedures
- Review and ensure system notes are up to date
- Oversee internal cash management, budgeting and forecasting
- Responsibility for integrity of the corporate properties database
- Review new contracts and ensure correct accounting policy is applied
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Support FP&A team with budgeting, forecasting, cost allocations
- Provide P&L variance analysis, balance sheet movements and capital spend on a monthly basis to agreed timetable
- Develop and maintain internal relationships with the FP&A teams for Bellerbys, ISCs, Embassy, Sales & Marketing and the Group Corporate Team.
- Liaise with auditors at quarterly and year end closes
- Develop and maintain relationships with centre principals, marketing managers and staff as appropriate
- Build a productive working environment through constructive, regular and timely feedback with appropriate involvement, delegation and monitoring of staff
- Align the performance plans of staff to achieve finance objectives and evaluate performance
- Encourage a culture of coaching, professional development and self-improvement
Ad hoc project work
- Assist the UK HE team with ad hoc project work, as required
- Involvement in UK Finance team projects e.g. finance systems
Qualifications & Training
- 1-2 years PQE
- Financial Accounts preparation (audit experience an advantage)
- Using a range of finance/MI systems
- Team management experience
- Ability to prepare financial accounts
- Ability to communicate effectively and convey technical information to non-finance audiences.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Relationship management and customer service skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Good working knowledge of accountancy systems (Agresso an advantage)
- Strong Excel skills.
Please apply with your salary expectations, availability to start work in Brighton (including any holidays booked) and your right to work in the UK.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students, and expect all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
Applications to be made directly via the Linkedin advert, no agencies.