Closing date for applications: 31 December 2016
Bellerbys College Oxford is currently recruiting House Parent who will have responsibility for ensuring the highest standards of supervision, safeguarding, pastoral care, security, support, efficiency and customer care for all boarding students. The post holder will promote the highest standards of quality, efficiency and customer care in all matters relating to Student Services and Accommodation.
The role is shift-based.
- To supervise the boarding provision of students aged 14+ in designated residential blocks
- To assist the Welfare Officer in the assessment of students needs at arrival and assessing when reviews are needed
- To assist students to deal with behavioural and/or emotional difficulties or particular vulnerabilities
- To take every step necessary to ensure that children and young people are protected from neglect, abuse and exploitation
- To ensure that all children and young people are treated with dignity and respect, in an environment which reflects the importance of and their right to be treated as valuable worthwhile individuals
- To provide a high standard of personal, physical care for students, particularly in the areas of safety, health and hygiene
- To encourage positive behaviour and create a nourishing environment for personal and academic development
- To induct newly-admitted students to the residence life and buildings
- To take care of wake up calls and assist in the planning and preparation of students for leaving to school
- To assist with the implementation, monitoring and review of activities with either individuals or groups of students in order to facilitate their physical, emotional and educational development
- To administrate of medication and the keeping of appropriate medication records as instructed by the College Nurse
- To make regular tours of the residences monitoring the status of students, providing visibility of your availableness to students
- To carry on welfare and curfew checks, contacting all missing students and faithfully log in the phone calls
- To keep appropriate records and report as requested by the Residence Manager
- To ensure that students obey rules of residence, and escalate to the attention of the Residence Manager, Welfare Officer and Director of Student Services any infringements
- To use the in-house database to record sanctions and maintenance issues
- To be aware of "National Minimum standards of boarding schools" and consider how improvements could be made to meet or exceed these guidelines
- To provide overnight, on-call cover as per rota
- To attend statutory training sessions when required
- To ensure students have healthy eating habits and maintain cleanliness in their bedrooms
- To act as a fire warden in cases of fire
- To work with and support other members of the residential team
- To be aware of, and follow, the school policies and procedures on all matters relating to the safety and welfare of young students (drugs, alcohol, bullying etc)
- To facilitate questionnaires and surveys relating to residential life.
Knowledge & skills
- Excellent people management and teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Positive attitude to changes
- Willing to improve skills and grow into the role
- Good English language written and verbal skills
- Customer-service orientated approach
- Sensitivity to cultural and linguistic differences.
- Experience of working within a boarding schools/social care environment
- Good knowledge and experience of Child Protection, Safeguarding, Ofsted National Minimum Standards and Ofsted identified good practice
- Good knowledge and experience of UK legislation relating to the welfare of young people.
The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and the appointment will be subject to receipt of both satisfactory references and an enhanced DBS check.
All CV's and application forms to be submitted to Francesca Alfieri (FAlfieri@studygroup.com) by 31st December 2016.
However we reserve the right to select an appropriate candidate for the post before the closing date.