Head of English
Closing date for applications: 5th May 2017
To lead a team of English tutors, ensuring that all English, and Academic Skills modules across all courses and programmes are delivered to agreed standards, follow the agreed curriculum and utilise agreed assessment modes, resulting in the best possible outcomes for students and the best possible student experience. To design and manage the delivery of English and Academic Skills modules.
Leadership, management and personal development
- Lead and motivate a team of Academic Tutors to contribute to ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience on English and Academic Skills courses and modules.
- Provide effective performance management of direct reports, including: setting personal objectives and KPIs; regularly reviewing performance; and conducting formal performance reviews according to company policy and procedures.
- Recruit new academic staff for English and Academic Skills courses and modules as required and according to Study Group policies and procedures.
- Facilitate, encourage and support staff to participate in regular personal development activity.
- Participate actively in the Centre Management Team.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of students for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
Academic and Operational Management
- Plan and oversee the design and delivery of all English, and Academic Skills courses and modules, ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience.
- Allocate teaching resources for English, and Academic Skills according to scheduling guidelines, ensuring that teaching and learning activities are planned and resources allocated according to set deadlines; and that these are planned and delivered within agreed budgets and meet operational margins.
- Lead the design and implementation of appropriate, fair and secure assessment activities for English and Academic Skills, and ensure all students receive effective assessment feedback.
- Work in partnership with the Head of Curriculum and Innovation to design and introduce new courses, modules, products and methods of delivery and assessment.
- Work with ISC network colleagues to ensure design and delivery of Academic English Skills in the Centre is in line with Study Group requirements, including standardisation and moderation.
- Work to establish, maintain and monitor a Personal Development Module that embeds Employability into the Centre’s Curriculum.
- Demonstrates the ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people.
- Demonstrates emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to the use of authority and maintaining discipline.
- Keen to deliver and curious
- Enthusiastic and committed
- Committed to own academic scholarly development
Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor’s degree (essential)
- Relevant Teaching qualification (DELTA, TEFL, MA Linguistics)
- Leadership and management training
- Leadership and management experience in a teaching and learning environment
- Experience of leading a team to achieve high levels of student academic performance and outcomes against agreed targets
- Experience of teaching English to international students in UK Higher or Further Education
- Experience of planning and running complex education courses in the English and Academic Skills area
- Experience of leading the provision of academic skills within a HE environments
- Experience of partnership working in the education sector
- Experience of supporting international students with careers and employability advice is desirable
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to operate within quality assurance frameworks or to quality codes
- Knowledge of CEFR and its use as a benchmark for English language courses
- Knowledge of best practice in teaching English and AES area in FE and HE
- Ability to analyse data and identify areas for improvement from the data
- Ability to lead a diverse team of academic professionals
- Flexibility and willingness to work to tight deadlines
- Student-centred approach to planning and delivering educational services
- Knowledge of best practice in the delivery of HE careers and employability services
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance driven team leader
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
Please apply with a CV, covering letter and completed application form to Justine Evento, HR Business Partner.
Application deadline 5th May 2017