Head of Curriculum (Language and Academic Skills)
Closing date for applications: 12th September 2016
To provide leadership, oversight and co-ordination of teaching, learning and student affairs. The Head of Curriculum for Language and Academic Skills will be responsible for the academic management of the ISC’s language and academic skills tutors and will oversee the delivery and effectiveness of teaching for English language and Academic Skills programmes, student outcomes and the overall quality of the academic delivery.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilites
- Lead and motivate staff to contribute to the best of their abilities ensuring that academic standards are maintained across all courses offered
- Line management of academic staff as required
- Oversee academic recruitment
- Ensure an effective lesson observation and appraisal system is in place for all members of the Language and Academic Skills team
- Ensure all aspects of people performance (capability, conduct and absence) are effectively managed within academic services.
- Manage staff induction programme and CPD.
- Lead and develop the English language, Academic Skills language syllabus, the ISC’s tutorial system and oversee tutors’ contribution to this process, including the preparation of course materials
Academic and Operational Management
- Manage and deliver all academic services within the ISC in line with the strategic plan
- Lead and manage the centre in line with QAA expectations
- Manage and review key metrics to include product performance, progression rates, performance through degree, capacity utilisation and HTS risk
- Ensure that suitable examination entries and arrangements are made and that student exam results are communicated promptly
- Oversee the curriculum and timetable planning for the anticipated student intake on a termly basis ensuring effective management of capacity
- Manage the academic budget (staffing, training, resources, materials) and actively seek out opportunities to improve cost effectiveness
- Contribute to achieving the academic delivery within gross margin
- Chair examination boards
- To teach a maximum of 10-12 hours per week (full time or pro-rata) and follow the requirements of the teaching role in terms of monitoring student attendance, punctuality and progress, setting and marking assignments and contributing to student reports
- To act as a personal tutor to provide academic and pastoral support to students
- Monitor student satisfaction and actively seek out opportunities to improve delivery in liaison with the Head of Curriculum Business/Law and Engineering, Computing and Life Sciences, HEI link tutors and the Head of Centre
- Maintain oversight of the student journey ensuring the process is operating effectively, liaising with all relevant members of staff within the ISC and Head Office functions and acting as a point of contact for students
- Manage student induction programme
- Maintain oversight of the academic progression of students ensuring that sufficient help and guidance is provided to support progression to the partner University
- Liaise with academic managers regarding course changes, complaints, feedback and queries
- Ensure that pastoral matters are either adequately dealt with via the academic team or passed on to the Student Services team
- Lead centre participation in engaging with external stakeholders (sponsors/ agents/ parents)
- Promote a positive image of the ISC and company, represent the ISC at student recruitment events when required
- Actively seek to raise the ISC’s profile and reputation by participating in and facilitating the participation of others in e.g. forums, conferences
- Assist with marketing missions, meeting with agents, parents, and prospective students as required
- Meet with parents and visitors to the ISC
- Deal with agent queries and complaints, liaising with Centre Director and other staff as appropriate
- Ensure that senior academic staff liaise with parents, agents and Regional Offices where appropriate
- Effectively manage the relationship with external examiners and link tutors of the partner HEI
- Development and management of attendance/ HTS risk monitoring system
- Oversight of academic quality assurance processes
- Maintain oversight of the quality of academic staff and ensure performance is effectively managed
- Manage all aspects of the quality assurance process ensuring compliance against the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- Maintain Educational Oversight with the UK QAA.
- Ensure delivery of quality academic programmes within the ISC
- To attend and contribute to ISC staff meetings, Assessment Boards and Operational Group meetings
- To keep up the date with developments in academic teaching and skills including the use of e-learning resources
- To work in a collegial fashion and foster productive relations with other members of staff
- To be responsible for creating and updating teaching materials
- To carry out any other duties as required by the Head of Centre
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students, and expect all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records checks if appropriate.
To apply please send the completed application form to Christina Roberts, Head of Centre: CRoberts@studygroup.com