Academic Skills Tutor
Closing date for applications: 9am, 22nd August 2016
The University of Sheffield International College and its programmes are provided by Study Group in collaboration with the University of Sheffield. We are currently seeking sessional Academic Skills Tutors to deliver a range of Academic Lab Skills, Critical Reading Personal Development Planning modules to students on the Science and Engineering (S&E) programme.
* The post ordinarily includes up to 12 teaching hours.
** This offer is for September – December teaching term in the first instance.
- To deliver high quality teaching of Academic Skills related modules to groups of international students at both foundation and pre-masters levels
- To undertake marking and feedback provision on formative and summative basis, whilst complying with Quality Standards and Processes
- To support development of students’ independent learning
- To provide module feedback to a relevant module coordinator
- To maintain an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- To participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff
- To monitor and offer ongoing academic support to designated groups of students
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder. A full background (DBS) check will be required.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and be performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- A teaching qualification such as CELTA or PGCE. Additionally it would be desirable to have the UCLES Delta or equivalent
- A proven ability to teach a range of Academic Skills
- A minimum of 1-2 years teaching experience, preferably in UK higher or further education context, or other EAP experience
- Some learning and/or teaching experience in a science related area is desirable
- Experience of working with international students
- Experience, and a positive track record, of working with staff teams, evaluating performance and identifying development needs
- A student-centred approach
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment (e.g. Blackboard)
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
If you meet the requirements of the position, are excited by the opportunity of working in a fast-paced international education environment, please download and complete an: application form and provide an application letter, highlighting why you believe you are a suitable candidate for this role. Once completed send to: email@example.com
If you are selected for interview you will be invited to complete a task and attend an interview.
Deadline for application: 9am Monday 22nd August
Interviews: w/c 5th September
In case of any enquires please contact: John Parry (Senior Academic Tutor) on firstname.lastname@example.org